εννέα

CHAPTER NINE
( DAYS SINCE LAST MONSTER
ATTACK: ZERO )

THERE WAS ABOUT A mile between the train station and the Gateway Arch. The lines weren't that long since it was late in the day, so they were able to enter the underground museum rather quickly. There were things from the 1800s, like covered wagons and a model of a creole house, and stuff about Native Americans, explorers, pioneers, and rebels.

While Annabeth was more interested in how the Arch was built and randomly told them facts about it, Kali gravitated more towards the history the museum told, a subject she had been getting more into as she got older. She dragged Percy to different areas when something caught her interest. Because of how bad her dyslexia was, she sadly couldn't read the signs as much as she wanted to. After about her third failed attempt at reading, Percy tried to help her out.

Suffice to say, two dyslexics reading together had an interesting outcome.

It took a bit longer to go through the museum because of it. A little over an hour went by before they finally made it to the elevator to go up the Arch.

When they were in line, Percy kept looking around at the other people. "You smell anything?" he murmured to Grover.

He removed his nose from the bag of jelly beans he had long enough to sniff. "Underground," he said distastefully. "Underground air always smells like monsters. Probably doesn't mean anything."

"I'm sure we'll be fine," Kali said, trying for casual optimism but didn't know how well she did. Two days without a monster attack... Something had to happen to them soon, with their luck so far.

Percy gave her a look. "You don't even sound sure."

"I'm trying to be optimistic."

"Well, you're doing great."

Kali rolled her eyes and stole a few jelly beans from Grover, who watched them with poorly hidden amusement.

"Guys," Percy started after they moved up a few places in line, "You know the gods' symbols of power?"

Annabeth, who had been in the middle of reading about the construction equipment used to build the Arch, looked over. "Yeah?"

"Well, Hade–."

Grover cut him off with a clear of his throat. "We're in a public place... You mean, our friend downstairs?"

"Um, right. Our friend way downstairs," he corrected himself. "Doesn't he have a hat like Annabeth's?"

"You mean the Helm of Darkness," Annabeth said. "Yeah, that's his symbol of power. I saw it next to his seat during the winter solstice council meeting."

"He was there?"

Annabeth nodded. "It's the only time he's allowed to visit Olympus – the darkest day of the year. But his helm is a lot more powerful than my invisibility hat, if what I heard is true..."

"Doesn't it help him stay in the dark, or something?" Kali asked.

"It allows him to become darkness," Grover told them. "He can melt into shadow or pass through walls. He can't be touched, or seen, or heard. And he can radiate fear so intense it can drive you insane or stop your heart. Why do you think all rational creatures fear the dark?"