Chapter 22

The ocean trip still had a long way to go, but Toni was determined to make these days last. She wanted them to mean something. Years from now, when she would think back on all these struggles and dangerous happenings, she wanted Valeriya to be the light through that darkness. She was already doing hell of a good job of it right now.

Since their night together, Valeriya had become much less reserved. Not in the way of her words, after all, she already trusted Toni enough to confide in her about nearly everything, and vice versa. No, this was different. Her body language indicated that she was much more open to receive Toni in all the ways she used to be afraid of. It was as if making love to this dangerous, lethal woman made her realize that there are multiple levels to everyone and everything. Of course, thinking harder on it, she realized she should've known that before. Especially with Toni, but with how she was raised, she was brought up to believe that everyone in the world was one dimensional. Valeriya's parents ingrained it into her brain from a young age that what you saw people doing with themselves initially, was who they were. A tactic that kept her locked away from the real world for many years.

In fact, it wasn't until she met Toni that she started realize how untrue that was. Even with Petrov, she saw him as one dimensional. He was young, handsome, and successful. A CEO is what one thought of when they met him, and so thats how Valeriya saw him, too. A business man. He was the perfect boyfriend, according to her parents. Valeriya often times tried to think of her future with him, never finding herself able to picture what marriage would be like. She was all too aware of her parents approval of Petrov as her husband, but he just wasn't who she wanted, or needed. They kept up appearances to make everyone look good and feel comfortable, but she never felt close with him. They rarely talked about personal things, and he was never gentle when he touched her. He treated their intimacy as something solely for him. Her pleasure didn't matter, and she came to think that that was normal, until Toni.

Even before they fell into bed together, Toni made it obvious to Valeriya that pleasure mattered. No matter where it came from. If it didn't treat both you and your partner's needs, then it often wasn't worth it unless discussed prior. Being in the assassin's presence made her realize so much, and in a twisted way, she wished that Toni appeared in her life sooner. Perhaps under a different course of actions... Even if that were the case, she couldn't imagine the other being even remotely alright with how her parents or Petrov treated her as a person, except for maybe her father, and that was a very strained maybe.

--

Valeriya stood on the main deck, wiping down the metallic bits of her gun. Her soft cloth dragged along the silver barrel, causing it to reflect the afternoon sun. She looked over it, inspecting everything from the trigger to the sight on the barrel's tip. The sun sat high in the sky as she cleaned, expecting Toni to be loitering around somewhere, perhaps talking to her contacts back home. She had mentioned that morning that they would be meeting an old friend and work partner by the name of Reed Sampson. This old friend is a skilled computer hacker and information dealer, to which Toni said is the most useful skill you could have in America. Everyone wants to know something.

"So..." She heard from behind her, coupled with soft footfalls on the wooden deck. "We'll be in the States in four days, and Reed said she'll have something set up for us. I sent her the text message and number. Maybe she'll have more luck than I did..."

"Did you learn your hacking skills from her? Also, I'm not sure how much information she could pull from that... I mean, if it was a prepaid phone like you said then I dont think there's much use looking into it anymore. I say wait for another text message, if there happens to be another." Valeriya holstered her gun and turned to face Toni, her arms came to cross under her bust.

"You know," Toni began, smirking. "Detroit is nothing like Russia. You'll meet and see a lot of people and things that you might not know exist."

"Like what?" Valeriya inquired, dropping her arms and moving closer to Toni until they were less than a foot apart.

Toni smiled and brought her arms up and around the other, taking her tight around the waist. "You'll see. I would tell you, but it's hard to explain unless you see it for yourself. In America it's often talked about in a bad light. People assume it's all crime and corruption, but it isn't. It's really beautiful and has character hidden everywhere. If you look hard enough, you can see the struggle that it went, and continues to go through. It was once as bad as people say, but its constantly improving."

Valeriya bit down on her lower lip lightly, adoring how highly Toni spoke of where she came from. The passion in her voice was genuine and warming. "If that's true, I can't wait to see it."

"I'm excited to actually take you on a date legally." Toni snorted, leaning in for a light peck, to which Valeriya returned happily.

"I suppose that's right. Being homosexual in America isn't demonized like it is in Russia." She noted.

"Well, it is, to be honest. But it wasn't outlawed. You can be openly gay in the United States and live freely, but many things are still restricted to us and there are still a lot of people who don't understand and would rather just spread hate and lies." Toni sighed, rubbing up and down the other's sides. Valeriya nodded and listened closely, remembered something that occured in her college class.
There was a young man that she had a finance class with who she'd heard rumor of being gay. She never talked to him to ask, but there were constant whispers among the students of that specific class ontop of others. He usually kept to himself, and for the life of her she couldn't recall his name. It might've started with a K, or an M. Either way, that wasn't important after his disappearance. One day, he stopped showing up to school. There were whispers of him being abducted by the police, but no one was ever sure. Valeriya had always felt odd when it came to the subject of homosexuality, never really thinking of it specifically for herself, but the thought of people being hurt for it frightened her growing up, and the incident with her classmate pushed those fears ever farther. Subconsciously, she felt that it was the reason she distanced herself from Toni for so long, but now she couldn't keep herself away.

"Val?" Toni had been trying to get her attention, but she was too far gone in thought. "Sweetheart?"

Valeriya snapped her gaze at the pet name, never having heard anyone other than her father use one for her. It made a slow heat form in her cheeks, along with a smile. "Sorry, yes?"

"Are you alright? You looked really out of it." Toni furrowed her brows.

Her young Russian counterpart simply smiled and shook her head, placing each of her hands on Toni's cheeks and planting a firm kiss to her lips.

"I was just thinking, and I've decided that I'm extraordinarily excited to do this with you. No matter how dangerous."