On the Streets of Rome.

Start from the beginning

"Right now, we are standing in the geometric center of this city...the beating heart of Rome." Anirudh informed her staring at the dazzling white stairs of Altare dell Patria, "It was built as a memorial to Vittorio Emanuele – the first king of unified Italy."

Bondita observed everything with wide eyes- the stairways, the Corinthian columns, fountains, the equestrian sculpture of Victor Emmanuel II and two statues of the Goddess Victoria riding on quadrigas

As they climbed up the stairs Anirudh asked, "Durga, tell me the truth, do you really fraternize with the lawbreakers?"

"I don't fraternizing with all of them...we are lawyers Mr. Roy Choudhary...or at least soon-to-be lawyer in my case, dealing with lawbreakers is what we do, isn't it?" He is starting to like the way she said Mr. Roy Coudhary, she took that formal name in such an adorable tone that it doesn't sound formal anymore.

Wait a minute...what did she just said?

"Not all of them! Which means you fraternize with some of them?" he asked in an incredulous tone.

"Haan!" she stopped near the statue of Emanuele on his horse and turned to face Anirudh, "Back in London I've this friend who is a street magician and an ex-thief, I've learned quite a lot from him actually, lock picking, pick pocketing, scaling the walls." She proudly listed them off.

Anirudh was speechless for several seconds; he actually didn't know what to say to her. Now, he was sure that Raggi was right about her being an orphan! No parents or guardian would allow her to have such acquaintance.

"And where exactly did you meet this thief friend of yours?" he asked when he finally found his voice.

"EX- thief! He left that carrier far behind now."

"So, he saw the light and now he is a law abiding citizen?"

"...uh, no, he got old. We just celebrated his 79th birthday at the Shelter."

"Shelter?!!"

"Yeah, the homeless shelter. The one near the London Bridge!?"

"And what were you doing in a homeless shelter? Do you have any idea how dangerous those places can be?!?"

"Yes, I do!" She replied offensively, "I volunteer there, every Sunday, for the last four years. They are like my family members now."

He blinked back at her as he realized how different this girl's life was from his or the life he used to live when he was a student back at London. He was too busy enjoying the high life of the elite society...friends, parties, dreams of a love that was waiting for him... yes, he never compromised his studies but other than that he was completely clueless about the atrocities going on in his country...blissfully oblivious about his surroundings...if it wasn't for the British man at that party he can only wondered how long he would have lived that oblivious life...if it wasn't for that man he never would have came back to India so abruptly...never would have met her