04. A Dying Breed

Start from the beginning

"Wait. You're aware of them?"

"There were reports. If I hadn't seen them, you'd probably be in bad shape."

"No kidding," I scoffed.

We both heard a door creak open, and Rosmerta came running out, looking absolutely white.

"Dear Merlin!" she squealed as she nearly tackled me. "What happened?! I heard—heard spells shot—"

"I'm fine," I said calmly. "I took care of them."

"Where are they now?"

"One is left behind, the rest fled. Two were Stunned, two well alive," my savior reported.

Rosmerta's eyes went to him. "We need to get some form of police here!"

"Take it easy, ma'am," he said. "I'm an Auror."

My mouth dropped. First, some random person came to my aid, and now he's an Auror of all things?

"I think you better notify more, just in case," I told Rosmerta quietly. "Is that man you hit going to move?" I asked my savior.

"Not for a while, unless someone gives the counter-curse for it," he replied. "I think it's best if this is kept quiet, alright?"

"I won't tell anyone." I eyed Rosmerta.

"Good. Come with me, will you?"

Sighing, I followed my savior back into the dark. "Lumos," I muttered instinctively. The bright blue tip of my wand shone. I pointed it to the ground, searching for the man. We found him; his body froze in an odd position. "What did you do to him?"

"Full Body-Bind Curse," my rescuer replied. "Keep the light on him. I want to show you something." He bent down and rolled up the Body-Bound guy's sleeve to reveal something that would strike fear into the hearts of anyone.

A faded Dark Mark.

I stumbled back a few steps, repulsed. "H-he's a Death Eater?"

"Was," my savior corrected me. "This bloke is going to Azkaban."

"Lovely," I whimpered. "The others in this group—are they ex Death Eaters too?"

"They very well could be," he said gravely.

"Wait, how did you know what he was?"

"He's one of the very few that are running free still. It's an Auror's job to hunt whoever is left of the cult and bring them in."

I noticed my wand arm was trembling, the light bounced on the ground. They had been a part of the Death Eaters...

"Jenelle?" Rosmerta's voice echoed down the alleyway. I looked to her. "We're getting some help soon."

"Remember what I said about banning those men?" I called. "You'll have good reason to do so now."

"Why?" Rosmerta's heels clicked into the ground as she approached, her wand tip lit. Her wand light aimed down, and I heard her gasp.

"Does that answer it for you?" I asked.

"There had been ex Death Eaters in my pub?" she screeched. "I can't believe they tried to attack you! They never tried to hurt Veronica."

"How come you never had your suspicions about them?"

"Why would I? They're just kids!"