Chapter 19

It was a slow journey, but (Y/N) was determined to get Sonic back to their camp. The hedgehog was still unconscious, still bleeding from his injuries, and still kind of heavy. Her back was starting to sweat, which was making holding the hedgehog that much harder. But she powered through, and soon enough the two were back at the ruins. Letting out a grunt, the (a/t) then laid Sonic down on his stomach, once again checking his back injuries. His fur was extremely dark from the bleeding, and she knew she had to stop it right away.

(Y/N) had to ignore the sickening feeling of worry and guilt, pushed the thoughts of blaming herself to the back of her mind. Instead, she thought about Eggman and how he had planned this trap from the beginning, how they had played right into it, and even given some food to fuel the fire when they argued about their feelings. They had caused the exact thing Sonic feared happening. The (a/t) knew that as soon as he was better, she had to apologise to him. She had been mean to him, and it nearly cost them their lives.

Shaking her head, the (a/t) got to work, searching through their pack of things, and shifting through their low stash of food and water. Finally, she found and pulled out the little gauze and cloth they had brought with them. They clearly weren't expecting such a failure. Wetting some cloth with what little water they had left, she started dabbing it on the large gashes. It didn't take long for the cloth to become dirty with blood, but she did her best to rinse it and keep working.

Sonic started to shift and hissed in pain after reaching between his back quills. He tried to move away from the cloth, but she held his good arm, hoping to soothe him and keep him still. However, he stirred more, and his eyes snapped open. Bright emerald looked around, alert and afraid for a moment, before he got a grasp on their surroundings.

"Don't move, I'm trying to take care of your wounds and I need you to be still." (Y/N) told him immediately.

Sonic said nothing, only giving a simple nod, before laying his head back down. He was breathing deeply, but slowly, clearly trying to fight against the pain he must be in. It was silent for a moment as the (a/t) continued to dab at his back, before he finally broke the silence,

"H... How did we get back...?" He asked, his voice shaking. It broke her to hear him sound so weak.

"Well, after you got us out of Eggman's base, you collapsed, and I panicked." (Y/N) said softly, though tears pricked at her eyes, "I carried you back here as quickly as I could."

The hedgehog smiled slightly, "H-Heh, thanks for that..."

(Y/N) smiled, shifting closer to him. She continued to clean the gashes in his back, and the hedgehog was doing his best to stay still. However, she must has pressed harder than intended, because he let out a hiss and flinched away. The (a/t)'s ears lowered, and she lowered her head. Sonic picked up on her lack of dabbing and he glanced back at her.

"What's up?"

"I'm sorry everything went so wrong." She said, holding her arm sheepishly, "If I hadn't-"

"Hey, don't worry about that." Sonic said, going to sit up. He flinched, and the (a/t) pushed him back down, giving him a look, before averting her gaze and the hedgehog huffed, "Eggman had us dupped from the start, if anything, it's my fault for not realising quick enough."

(Y/N) shook her head, sitting back, "It's also my fault. I shouldn't have acted all weird, if I had just stayed focused, we wouldn't have had that stupid conversation right outside Eggman's base, and we wouldn't have given him more information to work with."

Sonic didn't respond, and the (a/t) let out a heavy sigh, "I... Can understand why you don't want us to be together..."

The hedgehog didn't know what to say to that. The twist in his chest was something he wasn't entirely expecting to feel hearing those words. Sonic didn't like it, but he had to keep it that way, and he wasn't sure if he was happy that (Y/N) understood. Especially since the hedgehog does like her. Though, saying that right now would probably make everything worse, or more complicated, and he didn't want to cause more problems. Instead, he decided to focus on something else the (a/t) had said to him.