Chapter 4

A/N: I don't yet have an uploading schedule so apologies if the updates aren't the exact same every week-

Either way, for now, enjoy the story!

(Y/N) had little time to react as Metal Sonic grabbed her by the throat. The dust covered house disappeared from sight as they two flew out the front door, and the robot threw the (a/t) into a nearby tree. She cried out as she collided with the hard trunk, holding onto her neck, and glancing up at the robot. What was he doing here? Her mind raced as she tried to figure out what was going on; why Metal Sonic would attack her like this at random; and why he was disguised as an old lady.

The (a/t) tried to think of a plan, without her grappling hook she was weaponless, and there was no way she could win in hand-to-hand combat against a robot, especially one designed to take on Sonic. Metal's jet powered on, and he flew at her, clawing his hand at her head. The (a/t) ducked, feeling the 'thunk' as his sharp fingers dug into the tree. His head snapped to her, and he swung his other hand at her. (Y/N) managed to push away from the trunk and avoid his claws.

A sharp fire-like pain lit on her shoulder, and the (a/t) grit her teeth as she stumbled away, holding onto her arm. Blood dripped down her fur, three gashes aligned her shoulder. He just nicked her. Wait, his hands were empty. The (a/t) studied the robot as he tried to pull free from the tree. He had dropped the grappling gun! Without a second thought she took off for the rundown house; hoping she could find it and fight back before he caught up to her again.

The house was in even more shambles now, a whole wall having been blasted away by the rocket on the evil robot's back. The curtain in the kitchen was even on fire. More rubble covered the ground, and the (a/t) searched desperately for her grappling gun. She shuffled through the mess aggressively, hearing Metal Sonic's beeping as he pulled his hand free from the trunk. It was nowhere to be seen.

Metal's feet clanked against the ground, and the (a/t) became more panicked. Then, out of the corner of her eye she spotted her weapon and reached for it. A violent breeze flew past her, and the blue robot landed on the wall near her, his red eyes staring through her soul. She startled and scrambled for the gun, but it was too late. He flew at her and grabbed her by the neck again. Déjà vu is a strange thing, especially when it's real.

However, instead of being shoved into a tree, Metal Sonic kept flying, high up into the dark night and into the city. (Y/N) can't help but cling to his arm, both in fear of falling, and trying to loosen his grip. She couldn't see anything but the robot, and the tall shadows of buildings that flew past. The sudden impact into a skyscraper took the wind from her lungs, and she was sure multiple ribs had just broken, probably even more.

The pain erupted from her back, yet she didn't scream. Her mouth was left agape, her eyes wide as tears immediately blurred her vision, which were fighting off the darkness of unconsciousness. She barely took notice of the cuts along her arms and down her back and sides, the blood that ran down her legs from the window they just smashed through.

Once they hit the wall, Metal's grip tightens and the (a/t) chokes out a pained gasp, clawing at his hand. There was nothing she could do; she was totally at his mercy. Every breath out was a struggled breath in, and she could feel herself fading. Just before she could pass out, his hand loosened slightly, and (Y/N) caught herself with a deep gasp.

A small robot orb appeared behind Metal a camera lens sticking out the front. (Y/N)'s eyes glanced at it, and a familiar evil laugh sounded.

"Good work Metal Sonic!" Eggman's voice came from the robo-camera, "For the most part, the plan went perfectly!"

"The... Most part...?" Was all the (a/t) could sputter, and the camera moved closer to her face; she flinched back.

"Yes. I've been looking for you, and it was much easier sending Metal out to do the dirty work. Of course, I knew his appearance would cause... Alarm, so I had to think of something that would bring your guard down." The doctor's voice radiated with pride, "After all, who would want to hurt an old lady?"

(Y/N) growled and started to struggle. She had to find a way to stall him a bit, at least until the pain in her ribs and back went away. Her brain ticked for a moment, and she faced the camera.

"What are you planning...?"

"Oh ho ho, spoiling the story just wouldn't be fun." Eggman laughed, "But since you asked... I should let you know that your little search for your family is futile."

"Why is that?" The (a/t) raised a brow, interested in how he knew about her search to begin with. There was a pause, Eggman being dramatic as always. Then...

"Because I have them captured in one of my many bases. You'll never be able to find them."

Her eyes widened, and her grip on Metal slackened slightly. He had them? Eggman had her family? For just a moment, the pain numbed, and her body felt strengthened by rage. She kicked Metal in the chest, making him stumble. However, he quickly reacted and was back to holding her against the wall.

"What have you done to them?!" She yelled, watching as the robo-camera floated behind the blue robot.

"Nothing yet." Eggman said, his voice holding a mischievous tone, "But since you decided to cause me problems with my last plan to take over the world, I figured I'd cause you problems in return. None of the other heroes have any ties to them, so it was pretty simple when it came to choosing my targets."

(Y/N) glared at the floating camera, her kicking against Metal grew fiercer. Eggman was riling her up, but she couldn't help but fall for it. It had been months she had been searching for her family, and he's had them this whole time. The thought of them all huddled up in a cage, hungry and exhausted, scared. She couldn't imagine it.

"Of course, I was tempted to just let you roam the planet wondering where they were, but where was the fun in that? It was just depressing watching you sulk on the street." Eggman continued, Metal's eyes shone a bright red in the light, boring into the girl's skull, she couldn't do anything, no matter how hard she struggled, "So I figured I'd get you to let your guard down, attack you and tell you. The look on your face is priceless!"

His voice changed from robotic static, to being as if he was really here in person, and suddenly, Metal Sonic spun and lifted his head up and out of the broken window of the building. In the darkness, a metallic vehicle floated down and into view. Eggman himself sat in his Egg Mobile; a wide smirk half hidden under his ridiculously bushy moustache.

"I just had to see it in person!" He let out his crazed laugh once more, and (Y/N) was flabbergasted.

To think Eggman would do something like this... No... It's because he could do something like this that he is, taking his opportunity to target something a hero cares deeply about. It made sense, (Y/N) couldn't think of any one or thing that her friends held close enough for Eggman to use against them. It hurt to think she was the only one that could be targeted this way, and she felt vulnerable.

"If you do anything to them!" The (a/t) growled, not wanting to show her weakness.

"Well, whether I do or not, you won't be around to find out." The evil doctor chuckled, fondling his moustache, "Because you'll never be seeing your family again!"

Before (Y/N) could begin to wonder what he meant, Metal Sonic's eyes glowed brightly, and he spun around, flinging the (a/t) out the shattered window and into the dark of the night. A scream escapes her lips as she falls from the building, she reaches for her grappling hook only to be reminded that she had lost it. There was no way she was getting out of this.

Just before she closed her eyes to brace for impact, a blue blur flew across the murky night sky.