Chapter 3

For a few minutes, though neither of them were completely sure how many, Blue and Spinel sat against the wall in Pink's old room. Despite the fact that the room was free to be used by Spinel and Volleyball however they wished, it felt weird to call it anything else. They all had accepted that her life and her death had left a mark on their lives - and all of gem society - that will last for forever. Blue held Spinel in her hands which she rested between her raised knees and her chest. Resting up against Blue's chest and with the soft padding on her bottom, she was the comfiest she'd been since she didn't even know when.

It wasn't very long before Spinel felt it was time. She unburied her face and looked up at Blue.

"I think I'm ready, now." Spinel sighed, feeling refreshed and clear-minded. After being cleaned up, having the weight of her secret lifted from her shoulders, getting pampered, and having some cuddle time, what was really the worst that could happen when Blue accepted her? Spinel still felt a little anxious about telling White and Yellow, but a lot less than before. Before, in those close calls where she was sure they would find out, she felt she'd nearly poofed from the nerves. Now she had Blue's approval, at least, and that made Spinel feel a lot safer.

Blue nodded. "Let's go then."

And they left to speak with the other diamonds.

This time around, the ride with Blue was a lot more comfortable. Spinel was still enjoying the fact that she was clean and dry, with a fresh diaper on. Now that Spinel was feeling refreshed, however, she couldn't sit still for long. So, the littler gem spent the latter half of the trip to the other diamonds running or bouncing down the halls alongside Blue. Spinel was able to do much of her usual messing around while wearing a diaper since her usual clothes were already loose and puffy-looking around that area by design, and she'd gotten used to going about her regular activities with padding underneath it.

Once the two began hearing the voices of Yellow and White, Spinel returned to Blue's hands for comfort. Once they entered, the other two diamonds smiled warmly, and they exchanged greetings. It had apparently been a good day for Yellow and White and they were in good spirits.

"There's something Spinel wishes to share with you." Blue announced once they were done with small talk and she knew no one but the four were in the room. "She's kept it secret for a while, so be gentle with her." Blue sent a stern look to the others, communicating without words that she was serious and to choose their responses carefully. She addressed Spinel again. "Would you like to tell them yourself?"

Spinel stepped forward, plodding down the length of Blue's hand, and cleared her throat. "So uh, I've been getting into a bunch of human things lately -and you guys probably know about most of that," She sputtered. Looking at Yellow and White, they didn't seem to have any idea where this was going. "But uh, ya know about how when they eat something, they digest it and what's left they have to expel from their bodies?"

"I do recall," Yellow responded, stroking her chin in thought. White appeared confused for a moment, but then nodded, "Yes! It was in the reading material we received from some of Steven's friends a few cycles ago."

"Right, so," Spinel stammered, searching for words, "There are these things that were originally invented for humans who couldn't control when or where they expelled waste, but some, uh-" She tried hard not to choke on these few words, "-like me, wear them sometimes just 'cuz we want to."

In a flash of light, Spinel revealed her diaper, but kept all her other clothes which weren't in the way. "They even have fun designs sometimes." She pointed out the scattered shapes with rounded corners. Squares, circles, triangles, and even stars like the crystal gems and hearts like Spinel's gem, all in cutesy pastel colors. Spinel looked back up at the diamonds in front of her.

"Oh, it's simply darling!" White cooed, leaning in closer. "What is it called, dear?"

It was initially startling, but once she got her bearings, Spinel held her hands behind her back, while swaying sheepishly. "It's a diaper," She answered. "It feels nice and relaxes me."

"And have you been wearing these for a while?" Yellow inquired, examining the item around Spinel's waist.

"Yeah." Spinel shrunk into herself, but still keeping her hands behind her. "It's kinda easy with how puffy what I normally wear is." Yellow's mouth quirked at that little jab at her typical style of dress.

"It definitely is cute," Yellow hummed, "But I can't help but wonder...-"

"Not that we would ever think less of you for it," White pointedly interjected, a hand at her chest like she were reciting memorized phrases.

"Yes, of course," Yellow conceded. They were trying.
"But I don't think I understand why..."

"Well," Spinel, feeling more under a spotlight(a very scrutinizing one), looked up at blue, who smiled.

"If you're okay with answering."

"So," Spinel began, shifting her weight side to side, "I learned it from humans who like it because they usually just wear these when they're really young and small, and have everything they need taken care of and they're always protected by older ones. And so even if I was never a baby and never needed these, some folks like the feeling of wearing and using 'em," Spinel coiled her arms around each other, "-And that's how I felt about them just starting out, but now, doing baby-like things kinda makes me feel that way, like I'm safe, and have nothing to worry about, and I'm not worrying about what's gonna happen in the future. I feel... happier a lot a' the time. A-And I know you guys care about me, and I love living with ya-"

"Of course!" White grinned, "We love you, Spinel, and you've made it very clear how much you appreciate it. I'm happy that you have multiple ways of feeling happy and comfortable. Thank you for sharing with us, darling, we know it must have been at least a little daunting to reveal such a secret."
Yellow couldn't find that she had anything to add, and so just backed up the prior statement with an "of course" and a smile.

"Aww, you guys." Spinel leapt up and wrapped her family in a big noodle-arm-fueled hug, laughing, "You're just the best that a lil' gem could ask for!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[Author's note: I am SUPER sorry that I went dark for this long, but writing, it turns out, is a really difficult thing for me to do, but hopefully some of what I've managed to improve on should help me get more writing work done. I still probably won't have a real upload schedule ANY time soon, but even if this doesn't get updates, this chapter will feel more like a decent resolution.]