𝖎𝖎𝖎. ❛ PETALS IN COLD TEA ❜

Start from the beginning

"We shall see." That was all Ayato could offer before the individual in question could be seen just meters away with a presumed attendant of her own. "Let's greet our esteemed guest, shall we?"

She dressed differently in comparison to the last time Ayato met her; an eccentric navy suit with contrasting white lapels lined with gold and matching navy dress pants. Aurous stars were clipped onto the white of the suit; braided ivory swept from her shoulder tied itself off onto the stars. Her clothing betrayed Inazuma tradition; one might note the irony in this situation. As his family oversaw the preservation of tradition and culture, Ayato found this opposition rather amusing— whether intentional or not.

"Does the Yashiro Commissioner fancy himself in the latest of Fontaine fashion?" (y/n) asked, smirking at Ayato as Thoma pulled the chair out for her. The Hiiragi attendant stood by her side and betrayed no emotions, entirely stoic.

"I am rather interested. If Lord (y/n) would be so kind as to arrange a showing during the next festival, of course." Ayato replied smoothly, gesturing for Thoma to fill the empty ceramics sitting before them. He obliged without a word, doing so efficiently. His movements are quick, using minimal effort to display elegant mastery in the act.

"Hm..." (y/n) hummed, staring at Thoma with intrigue as he finished pouring the tea. "Your attendant is rather capable."

Thoma froze, his gaze flickered down to meet Ayato's for his approval to respond. That of which Ayato nodded. Thoma cleared his throat for a nervous response. "Many thanks, Lord (y/n)... I am sure your attendant is far more capable than I would ever be."

Humble would be the word to describe Thoma. Ever respectful, he takes the compliments with grace and modesty. A servant befitting of the Kamisato Clan and certainly worthy of the title of Chief Retainer.

"How modest. I suppose modesty is a motif in your family, yes? I would've thought the Yashiro Commissioner to be more forthright."

Ayato took that as a challenge, perhaps to rile him. Evidently the attempt failed as he simply chuckled, taking the moment to sip the freshly brewed tea instead. Little did he know, the game of chess had already begun.

"I can be forthright when needed, Lord. Do you want me to be more candid with you?" Ayato answered, glancing up from the reflection of his teacup with a teasing smirk. He watched as the corner of her lips twitched with irritation— he wasn't falling for her words, to denounce his reputation. It was now her move.

"I believe it's too early to decide such a thing. After all, you are a gentleman and I am a lady. It would be most inappropriate for us to be addressing one another with such frank words this early in our budding friendship. That of course... Unless the Commissioner is in desperation of a close female companion for a particular reason?" Pawn opening, she begins her counterattack. She knew how to weave the situation to her advantage. The commandment of her tone and words flipped the control entirely in seconds. She was testing him now. Ayato's turn.

"Ah... So you haven't heard? I am in search of someone suitable to be my future spouse. After all, I am of perfect age to marry. Though, I am sure that I will be able to find the perfect candidate soon. Someone befitting the title and acclaim."

Ayato showed his full hand and it was showing a checkmate in the future. The tides switched in his favor as he dropped his knowledge before the now-heir of the Hiiragi Clan— who was in need of a powerful husband to secure the seat of Head. Though of course, Ayato was not aware of this political strife just yet. She was in check and quickly needed to make a move before she got overwhelmed.

This knowledge entirely warped the plan in a whole new direction— with this, (y/n) would be capable of achieving what she needed to do. But her pride would not allow herself to be wooed so easily; not by a man, least of all. She wouldn't allow herself to fall to her knees and plead to be Kamisato Ayato's future spouse— oh, she would not dare. To chase after a man? The thought is too repulsive and far too embarrassing; and her pride would never recover from such a fate.