Chapter 17: Don't Let Me Down

"Well, well, if it isn't Hazel Fine," Martin drawled, a cigarette dangling from his lips as he stood outside the back entrance of the hotel. During her down time in the last two weeks, she'd studied a map of the hotel. The private bungalows the higher ups were staying in were located past it behind a high row of bougainvillea hedge that mostly covered over the smell from the large dumpsters Martin was smoking next too. That probably explained why she kept running into him and Nick in this location.

Hazel stopped short, her stomach plummeting. She was once again smuggling Checkers into the hotel and had been in search of a laundry cart. She'd decided to do it under cover of darkness this time to have a better chance of avoiding detection, and to leave Zoey out of it, but that plan had clearly backfired.

"Martin." She tried as best she could to keep her voice professional, which was hard with a bunny struggling under her arm. She just hoped that Checkers didn't start pooping up a storm.

"More rabbit issues, love?"

"I was giving him some fresh air."

"You wouldn't be bringing him into the hotel, now would you? I understand they have a strict no pets policy."

"I'm not a rule breaker."

"Oh no?" He took a long drag on his cigarette. "Well, I'm staying in one of the bungalows as you know. Mine has several bedrooms and a fenced in courtyard. If you were inclined to rethink my offer ... Checkers would be welcome."

Hazel worked hard to keep her features neutral. Did this monster really think she'd be willing to hop into his bed just to find a better place to keep her pet?

"Thank you for the offer, but—"

"She's not interested," Nick finished for her.

"Nicholas."

"Martin."

Nick stepped out of the shadows into the light cast by the motion light outside the back entrance. He was dressed all in black, and Hazel couldn't help but wonder what he was doing there. Did he have plans to burgle the hotel?

No, no, that was silly. This was the way from the bungalows to the front entrance. Hazel had spent too much time hanging out with people with bad intentions.

"You have a strange habit of showing up whenever Hazel is around," Martin said.

"I could say the same about you."

"Yes, well ..." Martin flicked his cigarette butt to the ground and crushed it with his heel. "The difference is, I don't have to answer to you." He nodded to Hazel. "Ms. Fine."

He stalked off toward the bungalows, the scent of his cigarette lingering in the air.

Hazel faced Nick while Checkers struggled in her grip. She was clutching him too hard and relaxed her arms slightly, so he'd calm down.

"Looks like your rabbit wants to escape," Nick said, half-amused.

"Can you blame him?"

Nick gave a small laugh. "No, I guess not."

"I didn't need to be rescued."

"I know."

"And yet you did. Again."

Nick rubbed at the stubble on his chin. "I had to intervene. He's a terrible person."

"Why work for him, then?"

"You think it's so easy to walk away?"

"I didn't say that."

He took a step toward her. He smelled freshly laundered, like clothes just taken from a dryer. "You're not the only one who's choices are limited, Hazel."

"I didn't say—"

Nick put his hand on her shoulder. "I'll leave you to the wolves next time." He squeezed her gently, and before she could get a thank you out, he'd let her go and started to walk away.

She watched him as he stopped on the edge of the pool of light and glanced over his shoulder. "Oh, and Hazel. You might want to try a different gambit than the whole bunny in the laundry cart this time. A housekeeping cart wandering around the hotel at this time of day will stick out."

He strode off into the darkness and Hazel was left standing there, holding Checkers, waiting for the moment when the choice to enter the Sing Along felt like the right one.