Chapter 5: With a Little Help From My Friends

The next morning, Hazel and Zoey both woke early, nerves poking at them before the alarm on Zoey's phone sounded.

"You awake?" Zoey asked as the light peeked around the edges of the room's blackout curtains. Their room was a standard issue two-bed Queen, with a row of windows overlooking an internal courtyard, and a bathroom with a large inviting tub. There was a large flat screen on the wall, built in dressers, a desk area and a comfortable armchair in the corner, and the air conditioning kept the room at a perfect seventy-degrees.

Last night, it had felt like an oasis, but this morning, Hazel had been staring at the creamy white ceiling for forty-five minutes. "Yep."

"I've never performed with other people," Zoey said. "Not since choir in high school."

The next round of auditions was the group round, where they'd be divided into groups of four and given a song to perform together on stage in front of the other contestants. Their respective styles or chemistry didn't matter—the idea was to put the contestants into a stressful situation and see who could stand the heat.

"It'll be fine," Hazel said, trying to sound reassuring. "As long as I don't get put with that Bella chick. I spoke to TikTok Benji for like two seconds yesterday, and she was contemplating homicide like a cartoon villain. What's her deal?"

Zoey stretched her hands above her head. She'd slept in a T-shirt with hearts on it. "You don't know? Bella's brother, Dan Moore, is an executive at NTV. Like a high-up one. Hot too. I mean, he doesn't do it for me, but..." Zoey reached for her phone and tapped at it. "Oh, man, listen to this headline on People: Sister of major TV exec breezes onto Sing Along. Gross."

"Lucky her." Hazel sat up and stretched while Zoey snapped on the light. "God, I'm not sure what to wear today."

Zoey popped out of bed and reached for her toes. "I'm wearing red. Because it's intimidating and it makes my complexion glow. You should wear navy." Zoey stood and started to twist her body back and forth. "My mom taught me all about what to wear when I perform."

"That's great."

"Did you not have a stage mama?"

"Not really." Hazel reached for the remote and turned on the TV. It was tuned to Extra, which was doing a special on former child celebrities and where they were now. Hazel hated these kinds of shows, but also found it impossible to look away.

"Oh," Zoey said, completing her stretch and pointing at the TV. "Wasn't that the guy who was on that show... What's his name?"

Hazel changed the channel. "I can't—"

Zoey snapped her fingers. "Aaron Edwards! He was on that Disney, show right? You know the one ... with that cute kid? The one who was always saying 'Whoops-a-daisy'?"

Hazel sighed. "Daisy Dawson."

"Yes! Wonder what happened to her?"

"Nothing good, I'm sure. Should we get some breakfast?" Their stay included access to the unlimited breakfast buffet. Hazel was looking forward to trading in Pop Tarts for eggs and bacon and a mountain of fresh fruit.

"I so wanted to be her when I was a kid," Zoey said, ignoring her suggestion. "Not her exactly, but famous, you know? I got the starring role in the Thanksgiving play and then I asked my teacher if she was going to send the video to a producer in Hollywood. Can you imagine?"

Hazel smiled. "That's a cute story."

"Ugh, I'm talking too much. Brooke says it's cringy, but I know she loves it. What about you? Child star aspirations?"