Chp. 2 Learning

Your grovelling was interrupted by a tap on the shoulder, the hand equally as small. You turn to your right to see one of your roommates sitting beside you. Alban. Bloody Alban. The boy was no taller than you, with dark hair that reached down to his mouth, his brown eyes always pierced through them. Alban smiles that mischievous smile and goes on.

Alban: Why so glum? Did the PSA give you a beating again? Hmm?

You: No, I just noticed something...

Your friend gestures towards you, wanting you to go on. A hint of concern on his face. With no other choice you decide to continue:

You: Everytime I go out, no matter where, I always feel like I'm being stared at. Just a few minutes ago I felt like someone was watching me when my Mama grabbed me.

Alban scoffed, seemingly missing the point.

Alban: So what's a few stares? My Papa always told me that if people stared at you a lot, it meant you were handsome!

He stands up to emphasise.

Alban: Especially girls!

You both silently look at each other, a small smile begins to slowly crack its way into sight.

Both of you: Ewww girls!

The two of you both burst out into laughter and catch the attention of a few adults sorting out supper, with some apology for the noise you resume.

You: It's not the staring, it's why they're staring. The Eldians we live with don't stare...only the guards and the Marelyans outside do. They don't like us....what if they want to hurt me? Whenever Mama tells me not to pay attention or that it's nothing I can't help it, I think she's just pretending to not be scared and that makes me sad.

Your friend pauses for a few moments to take in what you said. Yeah, Marley is full of a lot of mean people, but that doesn't mean you should be scared right? Ever the source of comfort, Alban looks to you.

Alban: If they want to hurt you then you and I will beat them up together!

He raises his fist in triumph, ever the drama-king. You smile and raise your head.

You: That wasn't what I was thinking of but oka-

Mama: (Y/N), come, it's time to eat.

She gestures to you to come and right as you get up to trek, Alban, flabbergasted, grabs your shoulder. You turn around to find out just what is so pressing.

Alban: Do you want to come see the Zeppelin's that pass by tonight?

A look of shock takes over your face.

You: Eh? What? But aren't the zeppelins taking off from outsid-

Alban shakes his head.

Alban: No it doesn't have to be outside

"But curfew-"

"But nothing, come on! You'll see"

You pause for a moment, your name being called out by your mother. The noise rings in your head. The world slows down and the voice changes.

...: (Y/N)? (Y/N)?

-
Bertolt: (Y/N)!

You snap out of your trance. Bertolt continues to click his fingers in your face, fed up, you slap it away. Before looking around to get a visual on the time of day.