(3)

"Does anybody actually know where we're going?" Locksley asked, fingers poised and ready to type in the co-ordinates. "I could do with some help over here."

"Yes, I do," Val looked up from her uniglass and smiled at him. "It was in the brief."

"Oh, yeah, that brief I totally read."

"Shall I refresh you?" 

"Please."

"Our first task is quite simple. We have to collect supplies from a space unit and take them to a Chellerian settlement." She paused momentarily. "The Chellerians have awful tempers and four arms, so I would watch out."

Locksley gulped. "Noted."

"Would you like me to type in the co-ordinates for the space unit?" At his nod, Val moved to key them in, leaning very close to Locksley. "Sorry about this."

"No, it's, uh, fine."

"There you go," she smiled again, stepping away from him. "I'll be out of your way."

"I'm here, I'm here," Bryony rushed in and sank into her co-pilot chair, leaving the two others who were following her to find their own seats. "Where's Errick?"

Trent was so angry. His new 'Alpha' was a piece of work. Not many people insulted him and came out on top, but he was beginning to learn this guy wasn't the average golden-boy blonde he'd marked him down as. No, this Jacobsen boy was a different person entirely.

"Everybody's out there waiting for you, Aurelia."

Of course, the stupid Alpha had found him. "I thought you wanted me to sit tight."

"Yeah, well now I want you to get ready for take-off."

Trent rolled his eyes. "You don't control me, smartass."

He grinned. "You think I'm smart?" 

"I think you're an ass," he scowled, looking down at him. "If you were smart, you'd stop insulting me."

"Thanks for the advice, Aurelia," Jacobsen's voice was dripping with sarcasm.

"You needed it."

"I dunno, he went to find that Aurelia dude," Locksley shrugged.

"Rock paper scissors and whoever loses has to find them?" Bryony suggested.

Val frowned. "Rock paper what, sorry?"

"No need to panic, I'm here," Errick slammed through the doors, Trent behind him, wearing a stony mask.

"Took your damn time," Locksley muttered, ignoring the look he got in return. "Okay, buckle up kids, we're going for a ride."

Their ship glided out of the bay, flying into the unknown galaxy ahead. The space around them stilled, and then they were plunged into hyperspace.

Everything was black and white. Locksley and Bryony were conversing, Brie's obvious nervousness visible from the look on her face.

"When we reach the space unit, I want Aurelia and Ronnie to collect the supplies. Ronnie, make sure it's all there and get Aurelia to do the heavy lifting," Errick ordered, ignoring Trent's mutter of "so now I'm useful".

"Sure," Ronnie nodded, loading the supply list on her uniglass.

They arrived and left the unit smoothly, all the supplies secured, and Locksley keyed in the co-ordinates for the settlement they were to drop them off at. It looked foreboding just from the picture. "Four armed dudes, here we go."

It took them a few hours to arrive at the Chellerian settlement, and from their immediate arrival it was clear that they were unwelcome.

"Any volunteers?" Errick joked, attempting to break the tension. "Val, you speak Chellerian, right?"

"Yes."

"Good, take Bryony with you. Again, Aurelia, unload the supplies. Sanii and I will help you. Locksley and Ronnie, look up our next destination. Hopefully it's more pleasant than this one."

Val was the first to step off the ship, smiling at Errick as she walked past. He was a natural at this.

 Bryony hovered at her shoulder. "I also speak a bit of Chellerian, so, do you want me to do the talking?"

Val laughed, but not unkindly. "I understand you have doubts, but please trust me. I am the Face for a reason."

"I didn't mean— okay," still unsure, Brie followed her down to the leading Chellerian.

Immediately, she was lost. She knew how to speak some of this language, but she couldn't keep up with the angry blue alien in front of her. Val nodded and smiled, responding to his demands in a calm tone (which was hard in such an angry language). Bryony caught some of what she said, something about supplies, and the Aurora Legion, and allies. She kept talking, and eventually he seemed to relax, letting their supplies come through.

Val thanked him, and the two of them left.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing, really," Val shrugged.

'Awh, come on, don't put yourself down. I'm sorry for trying to take over. Friends?" Bryony offered Val her arm.

She nodded, taking the offered forelimb.

"Anyway, you must help me brush up on my Chellerian. My Batraskan is much better."

"I'm not sure what I can offer you, but I'm sure our next destination will be much simpler to navigate." They were inside the ship again, and Ronnie caught the end of their conversation.

"I wouldn't be too sure," they bit their lip. "Our course has been redirected. We're being sent to pick up a criminal." 

A/N

Little bit of a filler chapter but now the plot can finally start! Permission for the prisoner to know your character?

I prefer these 850 word chapters because that way you don't lose interest. Love y'all :D