Because "I Love You" Isn't Enough ≫ Crowfeather x Female! Reader

Art: Theatricals

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Some angst

****

You sat alone at the freshkill pile, finishing off the last few bites of the grouse you had picked from the sparse remains of the day's hunting patrols. You and your patrol had taken a bit longer than usual checking the ThunderClan border, so you hadn't gotten the best chance at freshkill. Not that you were complaining, though— You got to spend a little extra time with the tom you had always found stronger than the rest, Crowfeather. Suddenly, as if the universe had read your thoughts, the slender dark blue-gray warrior stalked out of the dirtplace, his tail-tip twitching to and fro. You ducked your head, too flustered to meet his gaze or even look at him directly. He noticed you and nodded briskly in greeting, then strode past you as if you were just another gorse bush among the many that decorated the camp. A sharp pang of despair pierced your heart, causing your eyes to grow damp. It didn't seem to matter how hard you tried; he never noticed you or even acknowledged your existence. Suddenly feeling weary, you rose to your paws and retreated to your nest, curling up tight abs hoping none of your clanmates would notice the tears streaming down your face.

🥀 Crowfeather's POV 🥀

Crowfeather watched (Y/N) curl up in her nest with her back turned to him. A longing ache rose up like docile flames around his heart, and he desperately wanted to rush to her side and tell her what had been on his mind for the past few moons. Ever since Nightcloud and Breezepelt had come to terms with themselves and forgiven him for his disloyalty, the WindClan deputy had began to realize that something was missing in his life: (Y/N). It had been (Y/N) all along. He turned away from her sleeping form hastily, claws biting into the springy heather. How are you supposed to tell someone you love them when that has clearly never worked before? He stalked toward the camp entrance, disguising his pain with anger as usual. "I love you" wasn't enough to save Feathertail. "I love you" wasn't enough to convince Leafpool to stay by his side. "I love you" had never been enough to rebuild Nightcloud's trust. What good would the same three words do for (Y/N)?  Love only gets you hurt in the end, Crowfeather mused bitterly as he began running across the open moor. What's the point of saying it out loud?

He ran for what seemed like miles, but in reality, it couldn't have been more than a few minutes. He finally came to a stop at the end of the stream that marked the ThunderClan border, his broad chest heaving and his pads slick with sweat. Huffing, he trotted lightly to the small pool of clear water, hastily sweeping his gaze over the array of lush flora that grew there. If I can't tell (Y/N) I love her, I'll just have to show her.

🥀 Your POV 🥀

The next evening you returned to camp with your apprentice, Whistlepaw, padding beside you. The usual serenity of the day's end had settled on WindClan, and every cat young and old was sharing tongues and settling down to sleep. As you crossed the small clearing, you noticed a familiar sleek, dark blue-gray warrior standing next to the warriors' den, staring at you expectantly. You dropped the rabbit on the freshkill pile and nodded to Whistlepaw. "Choose some prey and go eat with your denmates. You did very well today." The gray tabby nodded her head excitedly, then raced towards Songpaw and Flutterpaw with the shrew she had caught earlier still gripped in her jaws. You turned back to your long-time crush, approaching him nervously.

"Hey." He meowed monotonously when you reached him.

"H-hey," You stammered, tears beginning to brim in your eyes. "What's up?" The handsome deputy took a deep breath through his nose, letting it out quietly. You stared at him in silence, patiently waiting for his response. You'd never seen him act this way before; it had to be important.

"I... Have something for you, actually." He mumbled awkwardly, nodding his head behind the warriors' den. "Come on." You watched as he slipped behind the gorse bushes that made up the den, disappearing into the thick shrubs. Confused—and slightly frightened by his sudden change in personality— you followed him and emerged into a private area of camp where hardly anyone ever went. Crowfeather was standing several whisker-lengths ahead, his dark blue eyes brimming with every emotion possible. You could make out pain, fear, and most surprisingly, the gentle glow of compassion. "I...I didn't know how to tell you," He began nervously, taking in a shaky breath. "so I just decided to show you." He stepped off to the side, revealing the plumpest rabbit you had seen in moons and a bundle of wild roses. You looked back up at the tom you thought had no interest in you whatsoever, a tear slipping down your face.

"Crowfeather... You did all of this just for me...?" Crowfeather chuckled under his breath, a soft half-smile finding it's way onto his broad face.

"Yes. I'm... Not that good with feelings, (Y/N). I'm sorry I made you feel like you weren't enough. The truth is, you're more than enough. You're... You're everything to me, (Y/N). I wouldn't trade you for a million beautiful sunsets, every rabbit on the moor, or all the greenleaf sunshine. As long as I have you, I have everything." He paused, breathing in again, but more confident this time. "I guess what I'm trying to say is... I... I..." He stammered like an apprentice being scorned for stealing from the freshkill pile. You purred, the tears streaming freely down your face. With a single step forward, you pressed yourself to his side and rubbed your cheek against his.

"I love you, too." You didn't need to hear it in words to know it was true. No one would go through the effort and stress Crowfeather had for someone they didn't care about. This was real, and you believed that with all the love in your heart. All the nights you had spent cold and alone would now be replaced by warmth and passion, something you could've only dreamed of before now. I have everything now, You realized as Crowfeather gently pushed you onto your back and touched his nose to yours. and nothing could ever make me as happy.

****

I'm so sorry I haven't written anything for the past few days. I've been dealing with a personal affair and it has taken up most of my free time. Thank you all for being so patient!

I like the way this one-shot turned out. Not too sappy, but not too dry, either. You know I don't play >:)