Gritting her teeth, Chloe shut her eyes. 'Stop it!'

The talking stopped. The sickening image vanished. Gripping her knees, she breathed heavily, making sure to keep her face concealed behind her hair. A sharp beeping sound made her dare to open her eyes. He remained seated on the bed, swivelled slightly towards her, his hand to his ear. He was talking again—but this time not to her.

She lifted her eyes. He looked like he was talking on some kind of phone. They had phones? He stopped talking and slid the thing into his pocket. Chloe dropped her face as he looked towards her again.

He stood. Chloe ducked her head as he came over, taking the chair opposite. He was so close she could smell him. And he smelled good. Chloe bit her lip. He was resting his long forearms upon the table. Through her hair, her eyes traced the long, bulging veins that snaked up towards his elbows. His shirt was tight around his upper arms. Suddenly realising what she was doing, Chloe snapped her eyes shut. Her father had always told her that women were weak: spiritually, physically, emotionally. And certainly sexually. He was definitely right! She'd always been a good girl. She'd never felt so awful in her life.

'What are you saying?' the demon said very slowly as Chloe murmured a prayer under her breath.

She didn't answer, keeping her eyes shut and her head bowed, repeating the words faster and faster as she struggled against feelings she didn't want to accept. That she couldn't accept. She felt him touch her hair. Chloe jerked back with a shout. The chair tilted. She hung in the balance for a moment before the chair toppled over. Chloe hit the floor with a thud.

In a daze, she gazed up at the ceiling. Was she hurt? She couldn't tell. Then he was there, leaning over her, his long brown hair dangling, his handsome face screwed up with worry. Those yellow snake-eyes bored into hers. Chloe snapped her eyes shut again. She grunted at a throb in her shoulder.

'Are you hurt?' he said.

Chloe squealed when he gripped her shoulder. Rolling off the chair, she scrambled under the table.

The demon shouted something in his inhuman language. He stormed around the table, roughly pulling away the other chair as he reached for her. He missed her as she dodged around the stem of the table. He shouted something again when he went to reach for her a second time. This time, she wasn't so quick. Seizing her around the waist, he pulled her up against him, her back to his front.

'Calm,' he growled in her ear, locking her arms against her chest like he'd done the last time; the last time when he'd pulled her onto the bed and did things to her. Crying out, she thrashed and kicked. 'Calm. Stop!'

He tightened his hold around her until she could hardly move. He was so big and heavy that her full-body bucking did nothing. She tried to stomp on his feet but the weird shoes he was wearing were too hard. Next, she tried to boot her heels into his shins but he spread his legs. She pulled her legs up in an attempt to topple him over with her weight. That was stupid; it gave him the opportunity to sweep her fully into his arms.

'Put me down!' she squealed, and she raked her nails down his cheek.

There was blood; his yellow eyes widened, then narrowed. Fear clutched at Chloe's heart as he threw her over his shoulder and marched into the "bathroom".

'Stop!' she shrieked, her voice echoing sharply in the little room.

She'd used the "toilet" a few times but had refused to wash herself, not with him around. Or even when he was not around. There could be eyes everywhere and men were not to be trusted. Particularly Godless men like him.