Clara studied her stepsister for a moment, not knowing what to say. Estella was not beautiful, and due to the way she was raised she had no hope of her manners making up for it, although sometimes a kinder nature did shine through. However, Clara had to admit, her stepsister wasn't ugly.

Estella was better than Edina in many ways, and for all Edina's gloating and Linette's belittling, Estella was prettier and nicer than both of them. After all, Clara couldn't even imagine having this conversation with Linette or Edina.

"No, Estella, you're not ugly." Estella smiled a little at Clara, before finally getting up from the bed and putting her arms out, signaling for Clara to help her.

"I just wish I didn't have to go." Clara looked at Estella, a little puzzled.

"Then why were you so adamant about having me help you and having the new gown?"

Estella shrugged, "Well, Mother would make me go, plus I love new gowns. Even if I don't ever wear them. Anyway, you're nicer to talk to than mother, even if you are supposed to be a servant." Clara didn't respond to that even though Estella frowned slightly. Clara didn't want to ruin the rare moment of kindness from one of her stepsisters.

Clara continued to help Estella get ready, and soon enough her step sister was in a salmon pink gown that matched the walls of her bedroom. It didn't look half bad on her either. It made her look a little washed-out, and she probably would look better in a violet, but it wasn't as bad as Edina's. Clara was just finishing putting the final touches on Estella's hair when she decided maybe she should help her a little. After all, she was the nicest one out of her stepfamily.

"Estella?"

"Yes?"

"You mentioned that no one liked to talk to you?" Estella looked at Clara through the mirror and nodded. "What do you talk about with them? The people you talk to?"

"Other people mostly." Clara sighed, there was the problem.

"Maybe tonight try talking to them about something other than other people."

"But that's all I know how to talk about!" Estella responded, looking startled. Clara stopped to think.

"What if instead of talking to them about other people, try to talk about the person you're with. Ask them what they like to do in their free time, maybe what they think of the spring blossoms, even ask them about how their family is doing."

"Why would that help?"

"Because being a good conversationalist is also being a good listener. So instead of talking, listen. Maybe people would be more willing to talk to you." They were both quiet as Clara finished her hair, stepping away from Estella. Her stepsister turned to look at her, but instead of the shock from before, there was just a thoughtful expression.

"That might work," Estella said, smiling. "You can go now, I'm ready."

Clara shook her head slightly as she left her step sister's room. Estella might be the nicer of her two step sisters, but some things would never change.

"Clara." She turned to see Linette standing there, a piece of paper in her hands. "Here is a list of chores I want to be done by the time we get back tonight. If they aren't, there will be consequences." Linette then swept off towards her daughters' rooms, leaving Clara in the hallway staring at the list.

Most of it she had already done that morning, Linette just hadn't realized it. All she really had to do was outside work. Walking down the stairs and out the front door, she went in search for her siblings. They were almost always outside playing. Soon the sounds of laughter could be heard coming from the forest trees and Clara smiled when her three siblings came into view.