Time (Finale Part One)

Start from the beginning

"Ay, mijo! Calma chulo." The tender rubs that Bruno placed on Teo's shoulders fought back the storm that was brewing in our small River. He inhaled his words like he inhaled his food, way too fast for his own good, making me smile while watching their interaction. Bruno's parental side had shown ages ago, back when we first arrived in Encanto, soothing Mateo's wild force of nature. In all the years I dreamt of him, waiting and wishing, no amount of imagination would have pieced this perfect esposo together in my mind.

Several pats and calming strokes later, that only Bruno's touch could magically fix, Mateo's tiny eruption was contained. Back to his happy sunshine self again, all his attention fell to the tallest of our bunch that hadn't moved a muscle from his stance in the living room, Diego flung over his tense shoulder. "Well...are you coming Beno?" Bruno's head nodded towards Casita so excitedly it sent his loopy salt and pepper locks dancing. Everyone stares at the love of their life like this, right? María had sneakily managed to slip Diego from Benji as that infamous smirk began to lick at his lips.

"Ay! No fair!" The splash of black ink that flew past us nearly knocked Mateo over, an annoyed frosty fist aiming at Benji's puma from him. Before wasting any more time, ensuring the icy wrath of the tiny fist, Bruno's gentle larger palm cupped his, holding back the waves. When did Teo officially become a sassy teen? Perdóneme but I'm not ready for that yet.

"La chancla for you Benjito if you beat us there!" I shouted up at the sleek puma, who wiggled whiskers at me after skidding to a stop. "Be back soon Hermana!" My voice trailed off, trying to catch up to where they raced up the hill. Oh my...my soul might as well have leapt out of my chest seeing Benji shift back and nuzzle his way under Bruno's arm, Mateo taking up the cramped space on his other flank. Had I known then what I do now, how incredibly incomplete my life had been before having them fill it, I would have happily given myself all over again to meet this destiny. Grateful for that bittersweet blade that should have ended me, I blinked the mist from my eyes. We truly found our home in Bruno, wherever he'd go we'd follow. To the ends of the earth.

"Vamos slowpoke! Or I call dibs on first cuddles!" Bruno struggled to peer back over his shoulder at me, the boys firmly dragging him along up the incline. This was the type of energy I should expect from them by now but no amount of time could dull the feeling their laughter gave me, setting fireworks off in my heart.

One of Bruno's well-worn sandals, half on his foot, caught something in the dirt causing all three pairs of feet to miss a step and skip forward. I couldn't hold it in and burst out in laughter, my stomach straining to keep myself upright as I hauled myself to reach them. I wonder who caught who just then? Probably Benjito...the stealthiest and the three.

"Haha, mi corazón. Don't make us get you cause there's room in here for you to trip with us." Bruno's tongue flashed, teasing from the middle of the sweetest set of bunched together bodies. A line of honey amber, emerald green, and ocean blue eyes grappled with my hazel orbs, sucking me in with their charm. Damn them, I grinned from ear to ear, squeezing under Benji's outstretched arm. "Má is too easy..." My face ablaze from Beno's smile that stole the sun's radiance, glowing brighter as he hugged me closer and placed a kiss on my temple. Yeah, don't I know it. Captivated by them and they took full advantage of it but I wouldn't change a thing about that.

"CASITA!" I flinched into Benji's brawny arm over my shoulder from the sheer volume that erupted out of Teo. I'd hate to be Bruno right now, far too close to the gale-force wind that hurdled from our mijo. Bruno's face twisted, catching our attention and actively worked to pretend his eardrums hadn't just been tortured a second ago. "Mijo! Ay...Abuela loves when you shout like that." That sarcastic threat seemed to hit Mateo, closing his eyes and pinching his lips together. I bet he wishes he was invisible right now, chuckling away to myself.