𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝐗𝐗

9 𝔪𝔬𝔫𝔱𝔥𝔰 𝔭𝔯𝔦𝔬𝔯~ 𝔏𝔞 𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔮𝔲𝔦𝔰𝔢 ℜ𝔬𝔲𝔤𝔢

The birds chirped cheerfully along the way. Trees, the warm colors of autumn, acted as proud walls leading slowly up to the grand Palais des Tuileries which stood splendidly in front of them. It almost seemed like the photo that hung in his office had come to life before his eyes. Everything that was black and white in the photo taken a century ago now exhibited vivid colors. He almost expected to see the close members of his clan posing sternly in front of the Palais just like in the photo. Memories might have faded in time just as the photo was only a lost evanescent copy of what used to be... but in the end nothing had really changed. He watched Henry beside him staring dreamily at the Palais as well. He seemed so fascinated and intensely focused on it that no passerby would have guessed he was actually blind.
    "Edmond?" An irritated voice reprimanded from his other side. "Did you not hear me talking to you?" Marie-Elise asked. "Like I was saying..."

Suddenly, they heard hurried footsteps coming their way. A small man with tousled blond hair, freckle-speckled cheeks wearing a simple white shirt appeared.
    "Mr. Bellois." Marie-Élise hissed, she seized his neck, her long black-polished fingernails digging into his skin.
    "Émile? What are you doing here?" Edmond asked, astonished. "I had made it clear that your clan was not to cross the border."
    "The Ramsay boy said I might find you here." Émile voiced despite the tight grasp around his neck.
Marie-Elise snorted.
    "What is it you want?"
    "I want to be part of your clan."
At this, Marie-Élise let out a bitter laugh.
Edmond paused. "That is an unusual request," he stated simply.
    "It's absurd." Marie-Élise added.
    "He did it." Émile gestured toward Henry who was once again staring into space.
    "Yes but these are totally different circumstances." Edmond affirmed grimly. "You have been following Savignard's rule for four centuries. Does she at least know about your request? There are strict policies about those who abandon their clan. How do you think that will affect the diplomacy between our two clans if I suddenly decide to accept one of Lucinde's traitors? Not to mention my clan would never entirely consider you as one of their own given that you had Lucinde's blood running through your veins."
    "He has a point." Marie-Élise smirked. "If you're capable of betraying your own clan who doesn't say you'll betray us in the future?" Her nails were digging deeper yet, piercing his skin. Edmond lay his hand on Marie-Élise's arm, sign for her to let go.
    "Let him speak."
    "I thought you may say that..." Émile grumbled, rubbing his neck, "that's why I have something to offer in exchange."
He looked directly at Edmond.
    "I know you're searching for it. The blood moon's secret."
Edmond stayed impassive as Marie-Élise looked at him for confirmation. Henry diverted his gaze away from the Palais and for the first time at Émile.
    "I have information." He pursued. "That physics professor. You told me she wasn't a shifter but you knew full well all along that she was didn't you? What was her name? Luna Enwright? Lucinde is with her now. A human was paid to deliver a message to you in precisely two hours from now asking to meet us in Nox. She wants you to assist to The Ceremony not as an opponent but as a fellow of the same species."
    "They're planning on executing her." Henry spoke with grave understanding.
    "No." Émile contradicted. "They're waiting for you, Edmond to execute her. They're leaving you the honor."
    "Lucinde is challenging my loyalty." Edmond guessed.
    "That's right. She knows your plans. You'll have to either renounce to finding the stone by killing or changing the shifter. Or openly reveal that you're searching for it by sparing her. Though the following would most likely engender a war between our two clans and if pushed further could attract the attention of the Vampire Council."
    "I warned you." Henry muttered.
Émile drew an enveloppe from his pocket.
    "Here is the letter you were supposed to be given by the human messenger. I figured I'd deliver it myself."
The back of the enveloppe was stamped in scarlet with the initials L.S.
Lucinde de Savignard
Or as people often called her: La Marquise Rouge. (The Red Marchioness)