Fatima XXVI

The cross into another province was going to be hard. The KP were still on high alert since our attack two weeks ago. Migrating between provinces was heavily restricted and the water surface was immensely covered. It took us a bit longer than we anticipated to make it here. Coming up to the border between Canaan and Nekhen, Ymir and I had to sneak past the patrol boats.

"Ymir." I said, "That's close enough, cut the engine."

"Got it." he replied. As the boat spurred to a stop, I looked over at the horizon. It was night, but I could make out the lights from the patrols. They weren't too far away. The two of us made our way to the dinghy on the side of the boat. I rowed while Ymir looked out for the spotlights. He kept his hand on the engine just in case we needed to make a getaway.

Once daybreak came, Ymir could finally see land.

"We're almost there." he said, "You're doing amazing sweetie."

"Shut the fuck up."

Once we pulled up to the beach, we were scott free. I had never been to Mut before. While the Vasilikos didn't care much about us, they cherished the tourists. And Mut was the hottest tourist hub in the Bahr Sea. Contrary to Canaan's deserts and industrial islands, Nekhen's islands were lush and green. This province was a tropical paradise. Other than the iron ore, the islands of Nekhen brought in much of Kmet's GDP. I hated it.

For all the self-righteous boutting of the Five Nations, speaking ill of Phocis' actions and how oppressed we are, their citizens loved to vacation in Nekhen. They only cared on camera, none of them did anything to help. If it was up to me, I'd tear down every tourist attraction and give the land back to the people it was stolen from in the first place.

"Let's go." Ymir said, "We can't stay on the beach for too long."

Once we were certain no one was around, we changed into our disguises. Wigs, makeup, sun hats, floral shirts, you know basic shit. I figured the more we looked like typical tourists, the less likely we'd be spotted. It was a heavy tourism location, it would be easier to blend into the crowds.

We made our way into town, sticking to the crowded main roads.

"Okay." I said, "She's supposed to be at a place called 'Maebad Muqadas.' An old shrine turned into a museum."

"Any idea where it could be?"

"Well, according to the city map, it's not too far. Actually, it's a new addition to the island's tour."

"Great." Ymir said, "How are we supposed to get her alone in a crowded place?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there."

After a bit of walking, we made our way to the trolley station. As luck would have it, a tour group was boarding as we arrived. We snuck into the crowd of people and found seats on the bus. [All a little too easy if you ask me.] After about a minute of riding, the tour guide began to speak.

"Good morning my distinguished guests! Welcome to today's first class tour of the beautiful island getaway of Mut! If you look in front of you, you'll find today's itinerary. This trip entails an exciting look at the island..."

I stopped paying attention to the guide and looked closer at the itinerary.

"Ymir." I whispered, "Look, the shrine's the last stop."

"So we just ride this trolley all the way there huh."

"Seems so."

"The Khalaq Tour is indeed the best way to learn both this island and its culture's history. What little there is to know." the guide continued, "This first building we're coming up to is called 'The Maqbara.' One thousand years ago, the ancient civilization of Olum was at war with Vasileio, an old civilization from whence our Royals hail and who's islands later became Serekh, the capital province. This here is a tomb for many of the soldiers defending this island from the conquerors."