Chapter 2

(Y/N POV)

Vi was a mess. She was covered in dirt, blood, and what I could only assume was ash. She had tear stains on her dusty cheeks, and she looked terrified. She looked at Powder and then at me with a wide-eyed expression. "What the hell happened to you??" I ran over to her and examined her more closely. The blood wasn't hers. She sniffled and took a deep breath. "They- they took Vander- and Benzo is dead- and there was this- this thing- I don't know what it was-" I knelt down and wiped her cheeks with a handkerchief. "Slow down, who took Vander?" She stuttered slightly, "I-I don't know... but the think that killed Benzo... it was like nothing I've ever seen... it wasn't... right." I tried to think through the possibilities. Vander had enemies, as did everyone down here, but nobody would dare go after him... This person had to have been either extremely intelligent, extremely strong, or both. Nobody in their right mind had the balls to mess with Vander.

I looked over at Powder and noticed fear in her eyes. Vi seemed to notice at the same time, because she walked over to her to speak words of comfort. I tried to rack my brain as Vi comforted her sister. I didn't know much about Vander's past, only that he had done something that he regretted deeply and that changed him into the man he was. He never liked to talk about it. Vander was a man of the present. He had gotten into a bit of an argument with his second-in-command, Sevika, because she believed they should fight the Enforcers. Thinking about it more, I realized I hadn't seen Sevika at all since that happened... I hoped she wasn't involved, betrayal was something that happened much too often in the Undercity.

I started to get a headache, so I broke my train of thought and went to comfort the girls again. However, they had disappeared. I assumed they went down to tell Mylo and Claggor, but I wasn't allowed down there. I could only hope they weren't going to do anything stupid. I decided to pour myself a drink. Technically, the bartenders weren't allowed to drink from the bar's stock, but Vander gave me a bit of special treatment for taking care of his children on occasion. I grabbed a bottle that smelled the strongest and poured myself a glass. I downed it as quickly as possible, and it burned all the way down. I grimaced and held my head in my hands. That's when I passed out on the bartop.

Unfortunately, those irritating, stubborn kids took that opportunity to sneak out of the bar. They had grabbed what weapons they could find and had taken upon themselves to save Vander. Idiots. Of course, I didn't notice they were gone until they were too far ahead. It was too late. I just had to pray that they would come back safely...