Glimpses Of A Past And Future Missed

Hey, guys! How are we?

So, sorry I didn't upload sooner but I got sick and then my mental health got the best of me!

Hope you enjoy this chapter even though it's a smaller one!

Enjoy!

She cried for a bit before she grabbed her phone again and called Paul and Mandy, their home phone number.

"Is everything okay, sweetie?"

"No, mum and dad...I fucked up...he's angry...he's angry that I have a wholesome life back there and I hid from him...I knew it was a bad idea...I wish I could turn the time back and keep the whole thing in-house..." Kelly cried and sobbed on the phone as she spoke.

"Aww, honey! I know you feel like this now because of fear but this could be great in the long run, you know why?" Mandy said compassionately to her daughter as she held her chest and the necklace Kelly had given her for a birthday present.

"No." Kelly sobbed as she tried to wipe her nose with the back of her hand, she felt like a little girl not like an adult and mother of a teen girl.

"Because your dad isn't getting any younger and I can imagine one of his many regrets and wishes must be to have had more time with you and your mum. And all of this mess gave him what I bet he was praying for at night since the accident, you to be alive and to see you again to get to hug you and spend time with you. Do everything a father and a daughter get to do, do everything he missed out on." Mandy spoke wisely with a soft motherly tone, a tone that made Kelly sob a bit more and guilt pooling in her belly.

He might haven't had searched for her but she never tried to contact him either, both of them were at fault here.

"Then why is he angry instead of happy?" Kelly asked lamely her mum as she started to hiccup from sobbing.

"Because honey everything happened too fast and with a bad guy on the loose every emotion is on high alert. Give him some time, find the bad guy, and then talk to him again once things have calmed down. Give him time!" Paul finally spoke after listening for a while. His tone was calm and sympathetic and what he was saying was soothing Kelly's nerves.

"So, what do I do in the meantime, dad? How do I interact with him?" Kelly asked desperately she was still crying but she wasn't sobbing anymore. Her sobs had started to subside while listening to her dad's calming and collected voice.

"Right now, you focus on your daughter and this asshole of a father-in-law of yours, excuse my French! Then you focus on Gibbs, priority is Shannon, she's the reason you are there for, family drama comes later." Paul's voice sounded irritated and angry now but not towards Kelly but towards Cornelius and his business ventures. That made Kelly freeze and realize in all of this she had guilefully forgotten why they were in DC! This realization made Kelly swallow her tears and a cry coming up her throat and try to gather herself and her thoughts.

"I will, dad, you're right. Now I have to focus on Shannon, she needs me. Thank you guys for this pep talk, I really needed it." Kelly said as she straightened her back and shoulders and tried to steady her voice when she started to speak.

She had to be strong for her daughter she wasn't there when the traumatic events happened she ought to be there for the aftermath.

Gibbs had remained where he stood during his and Kelly's fight as her last words played on repeat in his mind as he watched her walk away.

He felt he had made a huge mistake and without realizing he had followed her out of the Navy yard and heard her talk to Mandy and Paul, calling them mum and dad it stung.