23

"I'm sure you know that his situation is... less than ideal, headmaster," Snape said, as the two of them navigated the west wing corridor of the castle. They were in search of Peeves who, rumour had it, had flooded the girl's lavatories out of spite when his usual taunting had failed to achieve the desired reaction from Moaning Myrtle.

"As a matter of fact, I do. I recall Minerva pointing out when we left young Harry there that they were... what was it, now? 'The worst sort of muggles imaginable'," Dumbledore nodded.

"So then why was the boy left with them in the first place?" the potions master asked, exasperated.

"I feel sure you know why, Severus. But might I ask, why this is suddenly of consequence now? After all this time?" he asked.

"Headmaster?"

"Surely this is not the first time you've become aware of Harry's treatment by his relatives?" the older wizard asked, raising a brow.

Snape bristled. "Previously I was not... in a position to... act upon my observations... But now..."

"Now? Now that you've grown to care for the child?" Dumbledore surmised.

"He has expressed a wish not to return there this summer," the potions master told him plainly, refusing to engage in any further game play with the headmaster.

"Ah."

"Is that all you have to say on the matter?" he demanded.

"I suspected this might happen," Dumbledore told him. "After all, Harry really has become very attached to you..."

"I hardly think that–"

Dumbledore smiled gently. "Come now, Severus."

"Contrary to your evident belief, headmaster, I am not here to discuss this with you simply for your endless entertainment, or to leave you with a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. The boy is miserable and wishes to remain in my care over the summer break. I am here to establish the feasibility of the request, nothing more."

"Alas, you and I both know it is not feasible in the slightest, my boy," he said, a glint of sadness replacing the usual twinkle. "The bl–"

"–The blood wards protect him. Yes, I am aware," Snape snapped, impatient.

"You are aware, yet here you are. A tick box exercise perhaps?" the headmaster suggested.

"I can protect the boy as well as any blood wards," he said.

"I have no doubt that you would try Severus, but you and I both know that there is no greater protection for young Harry," Dumbledore told him.

The potions master sighed. "There is no possible way for us to replicate their protection?"

Dumbledore considered it for a moment.

"None that are guaranteed, or that do not put little Harry in grave danger. However..."

"Yes?" Snape urged

"There is an ancient belief that the blood wards can - in some instances - replicate themselves, so to speak. That is to say, that they can - under rare circumstances - follow the one they protect to a new place of sanctuary. One that doesn't require the presence of the original benefactors..." Dumbledore said, thoughtfully.

"How is that possible?" he frowned.

Dumbledore looked him dead in the eye.

"Love," he said, simply.

"W...what does that mean?" Snape asked, a familiar irritation with the headmaster's crypticism creeping in.

"It means, that for the blood wards to be 'matched'... for them to be anywhere close to replicated, as you put it, outside of the Dursley's home... Harry would need to see you as his family," Dumbledore explained.