Part III: Chapter 10

Start from the beginning

"Aslan," Eustace breathed catching everyone's attention.

We all paused, the boys turning to give him a questioning look. But Lucy and I immediately looked back.

"Aslan," I breathed with a bright smile.

"Welcome children," he greeted smiling as well, "You have done well. Very well. You have come far and now your journey is at its end."

Percy gasped beside me. I looked over to see him looking up at me unsurely. I nodded confirming the question in his eyes.

"Is this your country?" Lucy asked gesturing to the beach we stood on.

"No, my country lies beyond," Aslan answered nodding toward the wall of water.

"Is my father in your country?" Caspian asked.

"You can only find that out for yourself, unfortunately," Aslan answered.

Caspian looked back to the wall of water.

"But you should know," Aslan warned, "That if you should continue, there is no return."

We watched as Caspian walked forward. He waded into the water and reached out. His hand dipped into the wall slowly. He stood gazing at it in silence for a moment. Then he turned away and returned to us.

"You're not going?" Edmund questioned looking surprised.

"I don't think my father would be very proud that I gave up what he died for," he answered slowly, "I've spent too long wanting what was taken from me and not appreciating what was given. I was given a kingdom, people..."

He turned to Aslan, resolution in his eyes.

"I promise to be a better king."

"You already are," the great lion nodded.

Aslan then turned to us.

"I guess it's time we get home," Edmund remarked with a smile.

Lucy's face fell and she turned to him. "But I thought you loved it here?"

"I do," Edmund nodded, "But I love home and our family as well. They need us."

She stepped back thinking about his words. Then she slowly nodded.

"You both will return to an age appropriate for your situation," Aslan said to Percy and I.

I nodded. Percy's brow furrowed, however. Aslan turned to him with a smile.

"Yes?"

"Does this mean I'll be a baby again?" he asked.

"Most likely," the lion nodded, "But do not fear. You will retain all your memories of Narnia so long as you continue to believe."

Percy smiled nodding, "I will."

"Good," Aslan chuckled.

Reepicheep cleared his throat stepping forward. We all looked down to the mouse warrior as he scampered forward.

"Your Eminence," he bowed to Aslan, "For as long as I can remember, I have dreamt of seeing your country. I've had so many great adventures in this world, but nothing has dampened that yearning. I know I am not worthy of such an honor, but with your permission, I would lay down my sword for the joy of seeing your country with my own eyes."

"My country was made for noble hearts such as yours. No matter how small their bearers be," Aslan answered.

Pure joy alighted the mouse's face. He swept a low bow.

"I do not believe there is anyone in all of Narnia more deserving of this honor," I said gently to the mouse, "Though I must say, it will be difficult to say goodbye, dear friend."