Part I: Chapter 11

Two years later...

Aewryn

"Lucy! It's time to go," I called walking into her room, "The ball started an hour ago."

I gasped to see her struggling to do her hair.

"Oh Lu!" I laughed walking over and undoing the braid she'd attempted to do.

She sighed heavily crossing her arms over her chest. I started to rebraid it in a different style that complimented her face a bit better.

"Why is this so difficult? You and Susan make it look so easy," she huffed.

"We've had more time to practice," I pointed out finishing up and placing her crown on her head, "There."

She smiled at her reflection before turning to look at me.

"You know some day, I'm going to be as pretty as you and Susan," she stated.

"I think you're going to be even prettier," I replied with a smile, "Never compare your beauty to that of others. After all, both flowers and sunsets are beautiful but they far from the same thing. Do you see what I mean?"

"I'm beautiful in my own way?" she guessed with a small smile.

"Exactly," I nodded, "Now c'mon everyone is waiting for you."

We hurried down the hall to the Pavilion. The music wafted through the hallways sounding as lovely as ever. I smiled as we entered the massive ballroom. Peter, Susan, and Edmund were seated on their thrones watching the festivities. Lucy hurried over pausing by Edmund to kiss his cheek.

"Happy birthday, Ed!" she exclaimed smiling.

"I thought you might not come," he laughed as she went to sit on her throne.

"And miss your 16th birthday celebration?!" she gasped in mock horror.

We all laughed shaking our heads at her dramatics. Before our conversation could continue, a young man with curly dark hair stepped up. We all smiled knowingly as Susan groaned softly.

"May I have this dance?" he asked offering his hand to her.

She forced on a smile and accepted. But as he led her onto the dance floor, she looked back over her shoulder and gave us a pained look. I laughed along with Peter and Edmund. Lucy looked rather annoyed however.

"Don't tell me you're going to sit here the whole time," I questioned looking over at Edmund, "There are plenty of young girls who would love to dance with you. So go out there and get one."

He laughed holding up his hands in surrender before doing just that. Lucy slumped more on her throne. I smiled noticing a young boy who kept glancing over at her. He noticed me watching him and blushed. I nodded towards Lucy with a smile. He smiled too and walked over.

"Um... Qu-Queen Lucy? Your majesty— may, may I have this dance?" he stammered out awkwardly holding his hand out.

She perked up instantly nodding and talking his hand. Peter and I smiled watching the pair move onto the dance floor.

"Well I'd hate to be the only one sitting out," Peter said suddenly standing up, "Aewryn, would you like to dance?"

I laughed taking his hand.

"Of course," I answered letting him lead me forward.

We waltzed amidst the other couples. It seems as if so much time has gone passed since the war with the witch. Everyone seems to have settled in nicely. Lucy spends more time with the Narnians or in the gardens than anywhere else. Susan is constantly berated by suitors from far and wide. It's hilarious most of the time seeing how desperate they can be. Edmund has quickly begun to master sword fighting. He might be the best swordsman in the land someday. Peter seems to have taken to his role as High King like a bird to the air. He truly was meant to be king.

"What're you thinking about?" Peter asked suddenly drawing me from my thoughts.

"Everything I guess you could say," I chuckled looking up at him with a smile, "You've all grown so much in these past two years. It's as if you were all born to play this part, to be the rulers of Narnia."

"I know what you mean. It just feels natural to live here in Narnia. I don't even wish to go back to England," he replied nodding.

We lapsed into silence continuing to dance across the floor. I rested my head on Peter's chest unable to stop smiling. Yet another waltz came on but I wasn't complaining.

"You know, I could see myself living a life here," Peter murmured, "Growing up, getting married one day..."

I glanced up in confusion when he trailed off only to see that he was looking right at me. My cheeks flushed pink as I realized what he meant. He chuckled twirling me around before pulling me back to his chest.

"I guess what I'm trying to ask is if I may court you," he finished looking a little unsure of himself all of a sudden.

I smiled at him before leaning up and kissed his cheek.

"I accept your courtship, High King Peter," I replied sweetly.

He let out a sigh of relief before smiling back at me. As the song came to an end, he stepped back and bowed. I curtsied laughing a little. He then offered his arm to me like a gentleman. Shaking my head with a little smile, I looped my arm through his. Together we walked out to the gardens.

Edmund

I frowned noticing Peter and Aewryn walking away from the party towards the gardens. He was looking down at her with a huge goofy-looking smile on his face.

"Do you think he finally asked?" I asked looking over at Susan.

"I sure hope so. It's been a pain listening to him constantly going on and on about how beautiful she is, how perfect she is, how much he loves her," she replied shaking her head.

"Took him long enough," Lucy huffed rolling her eyes, "I thought I'd burst if he didn't."

Susan and I laughed at her exaggeration but understood the feeling. The three of us lapsed into silence. Then a new question popped into my head.

"So...when do you think he'll propose?"

"Edmund!"