Part III: Chapter 8

Beginne am Anfang

My heart broke at his cries. "We need to get out of here. Now." I stated firmly.

Edmund nodded, "Let's go."

We started to head back to the beach where the others were waiting. Edmund paused though squatting down and lifting a sword off the ground.

"Ed-" I began to chide.

"It's one of the seven," he said holding it up for Caspian and I to see.

It was then that I noticed the skeleton beside the sword. He was right. I nodded in understanding and he rejoined us. We continued back to the shoreline.

"Percy!" Lucy gasped rushing over.

"His leg is badly burned," Caspian told her, "We have to get him to the ship so we can treat it."

She nodded in understanding.

"Where's Eustace?" Reepicheep asked looking worried.

Edmund shook his head with a solemn look. He held out Eustace's singed journal to her. She gasped horrified and backed away.

"No..." she breathed.

He nodded silently. The short trip back to the boat was silent. When we arrived, Percy was quickly taken below deck so the medic could take a look at him. Gael rushed over to me and hugged my waist without a word. I knelt hugging her back tightly.

Suddenly, a strange roar echoed from the island. We all froze.

"What was that?" Gael asked looking up at me curiously.

I looked to Drinian, an answer appearing in my mind instantly. His tense expression merely confirmed my fears.

"Is it a volcano?" she asked seeing flames billowing from the island.

"No," I breathed shaking my head, "Get below deck. Now."

She frowned in confusion.

"All hands on deck!" Drinian demanded moving from the helm.

"Archers!" I called pushing Gael toward the steps, "Arm yourselves!"

She obeyed though clearly still confused and went below deck. Everyone sprang into action arming themselves.

"What is it?" Lucy asked, her brow furrowed in confusion.

As if in answer to her question, a massive shadow flew overhead. We all looked up as a roar echoed. It was a dragon with golden scales that glinted in the sunlight. It flew around the ship breathing fire and roaring.

"Take your positions and wait for my command!" Drinian ordered.

I gasped as the dragon landed on the main sail. The whole thing began to rock causing the ship to rock as well. I grabbed onto the railing to stop myself from falling.

"Fire!" Drinian shouted.

The archers began to loose their arrows. The dragon leapt into the air once again, roaring. My mind whirled. How could we have missed a dragon? Or the signs there of?

"Edmund!" Lucy cried.

I turned to see the dragon had grabbed Edmund by the arms and was carrying him off.

"Lucy!" Edmund cried fearfully.

Wait- no we didn't miss the signs. Volcanic island...treasure...What had Percy said? Eustace, dragon. It suddenly clicked just as the dragon circled around again still carrying Edmund.

"Don't shoot it!" I exclaimed just as Edmund yelled, "Hold your fire!"

Caspian whirled around to me, a look of complete bewilderment on his face.