Part II: Chapter 13

Start from the beginning

"No, we will go!" a voice spoke out.

Miraz's wife strode forward cradling her baby in her arms along with her father. Aslan nodded to them and they approached. I stepped forward before she could enter the portal.

"Thank you for helping me," I said gently with a smile, "May you and your child see many blessed days."

She smiled at me and nodded. Then she and her father stepped through and vanished from sight. Several others agreed to go as well. Then Aslan looked to Peter who nodded.

"Anyone else?" the lion offered.

"Us," Peter announced.

Gasps and cries of shock rippled through the crowd. Lucy and Edmund looked surprised but the rest of us knew. Peter handed me Percy. He then walked over to Caspian and handed him his sword.

"I will hold this until you return," Caspian promised.

"That's just it. We aren't coming back," Susan responded softly.

His face fell as he looked at her. I held Percy tighter.

"What?" Edmund frowned.

"Why can't we come back?" Lucy questioned sadness filling her features.

"You can. And you both will," Peter explained looking to his younger siblings but never once looking in my direction, "We can't."

"Why not?" the younger girl questioned, "Have they done something wrong?"

"No, my child," Aslan reassured her gently, "They have learned all they can from Narnia. It is time now for them to put it into practice in their own world."

So the Pevensies began their goodbyes. I smiled sadly as Caspian and Susan exchanged a rather awkward goodbye. She began to walk away but turned back and kissed him. Several people cheered.

"I'll understand when I'm older," Lucy stated with a confused frown.

"I'm older and I don't want to understand," Edmund remarked with a disgusted look.

I chuckled. My laughter died instantly as Peter finally turned to look at me. His blue eyes sparkled with unshed tears.

"Aewryn?"

I looked over at Lucy. She had another confused frown on her face.

"Aren't you going to say goodbye?" she asked.

"Oh Lu," I sighed a tear gliding down my cheek, "I'm afraid I cannot come with you."

"What?" she, Susan, and Edmund gasped the older two then looking to Peter who's eyes had dropped to the ground.

"I have to stay here with Percy. Until he's- he's old enough to make the journey home with me," I explained shakily feeling my throat burn with tears, "I'm sorry."

Lucy collided with me instantly her arms snaking around my torso. I held onto her with Percy sandwiched between us. Normally he would have complained but I had a feeling he knew what was happening. The minute she pulled away, Susan pulled me into a tight hug.

"I'm going to miss you," she choked out.

Edmund hugged me next then gave Percy a stern look.

"Watch out for your mum for us alright?" he ordered.

Percy giggled and put his hands on Edmund's face causing the boy to chuckle. Lastly I was left standing a few feet away from the love of my life. Peter stepped forward closing the gap. He took Percy into his arms first holding him against his chest.

"Papa!" Percy squealed hugging him back.

"That's right," Peter murmured hoarsely.

He then set Percy down. Our eyes met and the tears began to flow once more. Peter pulled me into his chest burying his face in my hair.

"I love you, Aewryn."

"I love you, Peter."

His lips met mine but there is only so much that can be said in such a short amount of time. Only so much we could express with so many watching eyes. My hands gripped the front of his tunic tightly as his gripped the soft fabric of my dress. Neither of us daring to let go. We drew back from our kiss looking into one another's eyes.

"I will see you again, my love," I promised softly not trusting my voice to go any higher.

He nodded kissing me one last time. Then slowly, he drew away and stepped out of my arms' reach. And I had to let him. I had to watch as a piece of my heart steadily moved away. I picked up Percy holding him against me. His little blue eyes softened as he stared at Peter's retreating figure.

"Papa?" he called after him reaching out.

Edmund put a hand on Peter's shoulder. Peter looked helplessly at Percy then looked to Caspian.

"Please, watch over them."

"I will. I promise," Caspian nodded.

Peter took Lucy's hand in his and Susan's in the other. Edmund took Lucy's other hand. He looked back one last time as if trying to remember every last detail of Percy and I. Then together, the four siblings stepped through...and vanished.