Part II: Chapter 11

Start from the beginning

Miraz emerged from his tent with his general at his side. Peter looked to Edmund and I. We both gave him encouraging smiles. The two men walked forward to the pavilion in the middle. I took my place off to one side with Edmund. Miraz and Peter lowered their helmets.

"Shall we announce the terms of the fight?" the general called out.

"Why delay with useless pleasantries?" I called back in response, "Whichever man shall live this duel will take command of all of Narnia. The other's army will retreat. Was that not clear to begin with?"

Laughter rang out from the Narnians making him glower at me. I smirked looking to Peter. He smiled back at me shaking his head then turned back to face Miraz.

The duel began and my heart leapt into my throat instantly. Every clang of a sword, every grunt rang out in my ears tenfold. I believed Peter could win this, but a small bit of me worried for his safety. Seeing how Miraz attacked ruthlessly and without even a slight chance of mercy, I knew it would be a fight to the death. No one would be willing to surrender.

"He can do this," Edmund murmured from beside me.

I nodded. I felt his hand slip around mine and give it a comforting squeeze.

"Thank you," I breathed.

Miraz managed to lock Peter's arm under his shield. I barely held in a gasp when he stomped on the shield and an audible crack sounded followed by a cry of pain from Peter. Peter managed to maneuver away just in time but his shield arm now hung limply at his side. He undid the straps letting the shield drop to the ground. Miraz threw his down too. I gripped Edmund's hand tighter.

It seemed like it would go on forever when Peter managed to slash Miraz's thigh. The Telmarine stumbled backwards crying out. Peter moved in to attack again but the sound of an approaching horse caught my attention. I turned to see Caspian riding towards us with Susan.

"Respite," Peter stated looking to Miraz.

Miraz nodded.

"Ten minutes?" Peter offered.

"Five," Miraz spat.

I rolled my eyes at his attempted "bravery" or whatever he wanted to call it. Both men limped off in opposite directions toward their people. I hurried over to Peter and removed his helmet. He sat on a large rock nearby panting. Edmund moved to check on his arm and shoulder.

"So?" he called over to the two who'd arrived on horseback.

"Lucy and Percy got through," Susan reported.

I let out a thankful sigh murmuring a praise to Aslan for their safety. She left to join the archers on the top of the How.

"How is it going?" Caspian asked.

"I'd say very well," Peter chuckled looking to Edmund, "What do you think, Ed?"

"I think this will hurt," the dark haired boy responded and snapped Peter's shoulder back into place.

I winced as Peter groaned in pain.

"Maybe a bit more delicate next time, Edmund," I remarked offering my hand to Peter.

He took it and I helped him to his feet. He rolled his shoulder a couple of times.

"You don't say," he huffed.

"Just keep smiling," Edmund chuckled handing Peter his sword.

Both boys turned and smiled at the Narnians who were waiting anxiously. Peter raised his sword and the Narnians cheered. I laughed lightly shaking my head.