Chapter 8 : Au Revior

Comenzar desde el principio

Who was this new person that claimed to be Beau Swan?

"Is Bella okay?" Beau asked Alice as they walked into the woods at an unhurried pace.

"Your sister is okay. She's at home right now, getting ready for the spring dance," Alice said, her tone lacking her usual cheriness, "I'm sorry that Edythe took your choice away, Beau, but you'll find that being a vampire isn't too bad."

Beau's lips curled up into a snarl. "I don't have much control, Alice. I can smell every animal within a mile radius, and it is very difficult to not start hunting them down to rip out their throats and drain them of their blood. I even smelled a human scent, Bella's scent, in your house, and it was driving me crazy, only fuelling my anger. You have to understand, Alice. Being a vampire might not be too bad for you, but it is very bad for me. And do you know why, Alice?"

Alice shook her head, her lips pressed into a thin line.

"Because someone is guaranteed to be dead by the time I have total control over my thirst. Edythe told me of the constant struggle of not draining anyone dry of blood, and she's over a century old. I can only imagine how many innocent people will die by the time I do have control."

Beau didn't want to say her name, to be reminded of her betrayal, but what he said must be heard. Considering that Beau could still hear every conversation in the Cullen house, they must be able to hear him to. She could hear him.

Alice didn't say another thing to Beau. She didn't have to guide him in hunting, his instincts just kicked in and did the job for her. By the time that Beau's burning thirst was reduced to a low burn, he had killed three deer and a mountain lion, his clothes torn into rags and blood spattered all over them. Beau hated the thrill that he got as the lion's eyes faded from life. He hated the high that he got from sinking his teeth into the warm, fragile flesh of the deer. Beau hated the constant burning in his throat that would only flare up at the smell of blood. He hated the venom that would gather in his mouth before he bit into muscle and fat.

Beau hated the lack of control he had over his own body, over his own thoughts.

All he could think about was tearing the flesh off of the throat of a live animal, and his body would correspond with his ravenous thoughts. How could Edythe do this to him? Condemn him to the same fate that she wished she could get out of?

How could she?

The thought repeated over and over in Beau's head. Alice didn't say anything in the hours they spent in the forest, she just sat by Beau on a tree branch, her breathing even and her eyes sharp, aware of her surroundings instead of distant and unfocused, looking into millions of possible futures that might happen.

"Are you ready to go back, Beau?" Alice eventually asked, her tone soft, inquiring.

"No," Beau rasped, his hunger flaring up for the fifth time that hour as a bird flew passed him, it's little heart beating at a furious rate.

Alice stared at Beau for a few moments, "You don't have to stay here, you know."

Beau snapped his head to the right, staring at Alice with surprise, "What?"

Alice rolled her eyes teasingly, "You can stay with the Denalis for a while and learn to control your bloodlust with Kate. She had bloodlust troubles too, only hers was much more severe. You have a lot more control than you give yourself credit for."

Beau waved off her last statement, focusing on the proposal Alice presented. It seemed like it was the best option. It wasn't like he could continue his old life here, not when he looked like a stranger and could wipe out Forks in bloodlust.