Part II: Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

"Azzz! Azzz!"

I looked over my shoulder at him completely bewildered. But his eyes were on the opposite side of the ravine. I looked over just as Lucy did and we both gasped at the sight of the massive lion.

"Aslan!" we cried in sync.

"Where?"

The others turned but he was gone.

"What're you talking about? There's nothing there," Susan huffed looking annoyed.

"It was Aslan!" Lucy exclaimed excitedly, "I think he wants us to follow him."

"I didn't see anything," Peter shrugged.

"I did, and so did Percy," I stated smiling like Lucy, "He's just across the ravine."

The two of them looked at us skeptically. Trumpkin looked like he was about to make a snide comment. Sighing I looked at the ground. They didn't believe us...

"Trumpkin is there another place we can cross?" Peter asked after a moment.

The dwarf grunted and turned to lead the way. I tried not to let Peter's lack of trust in me to heart. Maybe this was part of Aslan's plan. Who was I to know? Lucy walked beside me this time, her head bowed in obvious hurt.

"Don't worry Lu," I said gently, putting a hand on her shoulder, "They will see when they are ready to see."

A smile tugged at her lips and she nodded. We continued walking for some time before we reached a spot where the ravine wasn't as deep. I gasped in alarm however at the sight of Telmarine soldiers. We all hid in the brush looking down at them.

"They've spread even further into the woods," Trumpkin murmured unhappily.

Peter sighed.

"There's no way we can cross here," he said shaking his head.

We all began to creep away when Percy let out a loud belch. I froze in silent horror as the sound carried into the ravine. Peter whipped around grabbing me and pulling me to him behind a massive tree. Everyone else had ducked back into the brush. My heart hammered in my chest for the tense seconds that followed. Trumpkin peeked out and signaled us to keep moving. We hurried away without anymore abrupt noises. As soon as we were a safe distance away, Percy began gurgling merrily to himself.

"Does that baby ever shut up?" Trumpkin huffed.

"Nope," Edmund snorted reaching over and tickling Percy who laughed loudly and tried to squirm away.

Everyone smiled as we kept walking. Eventually Peter turned and looked over to Lucy.

"Where did you think you saw Aslan?" he asked.

I frowned at him.

"We didn't think we saw him," I snapped.

He flinched back a bit knowing he'd said something dumb. Lucy nodded matter of factly.

"Yes, and he was right- AH!"

We all rushed forward as the ground gave way under her only to find her kneeling on a ledge a few feet below us. A sigh of relief left my lips as she giggled, stood, and dusted herself off.

"Here," she finished.

Trumpkin went down first. Then Susan and Edmund followed carefully behind. Peter held Percy while I made my way onto the ledge. Once I was sure of my footing, he passed Percy back down to me then made his way down. The six of us continued down the side of the ravine cautiously each prepared to grab another should someone misstep. Peter's hand hovered by my waist every step I took which brought a small smile to my lips. After reaching the bottom, we crossed the river and continued on.

"My feet are tired," Lucy mentioned after walking for nearly another hour.

"Ditto," I murmured adjusting Percy's sling hoping to give myself some relief.

"Here," Peter murmured picking Percy up to carry him.

I gave him a thankful smile as we continued walking.

"It's getting late," Susan pointed out, "Let's make camp for the night."

Trumpkin didn't look too happy about the idea but nodded after a bit.

"Alright, Lu come with me to get some wood for a small fire," Edmund instructed as Susan and I sat down on the soft grass.

The two disappeared into the woods as the other four of us relaxed. When they returned, Trumpkin started a small fire then passed out some type of berries and nuts as a small supper. He eyed Percy who was fiddling with my hair as he sat in Peter's lap.

"He doesn't need to uh..." he began with a questioning look.

I chuckled.

"Breastfeed? No, I weaned him a while ago. He can eat the berries," I answered.

He nodded and set a small pile of them in Percy's lap. Percy's eyes widened and he picked one up. He looked at it for a bit then held it out towards Peter who chuckled and gestured for him to put it in his own mouth. Percy took the hint and did so before giggling at the taste. I shook my head with a smile. Such a happy baby.

After eating, I laid down beside Peter who set Percy in between us. I wrapped the sling around Percy like a blanket before wrapping one arm around him. Peter then wrapped an arm around my waist pulling me a bit closer to him.

"Goodnight, my loves," I murmured kissing Percy's head and then Peter's.

He smiled before capturing my lips with his own.

"Goodnight..."