Part I: Chapter 13

Start from the beginning

"Aewryn, would you accompany me to the West Gardens? There are some matters I wish to discuss in private," he said before adding, "It's rather important."

I gave Lucy and Susan a confused look but they simply shrugged. Hmm... odd. They normally tell me when things come up. I stood setting my napkin on the table.

"Of course," I replied.

As we left the dining room, I slipped my arm around Peter's. We walked in silence until we reached the gardens. In the pale moonlight, some of the flowers had begun to glow faintly. We continued for a little longer in silence.

"That was a rather mean stunt you and Edmund pulled," I remarked as a sudden thought.

"Yes, but inviting Lord Justice to dinner was fun in my opinion," he chuckled.

"The poor boy looked scared half to death," I chided smacking his chest lightly.

That only added to his laughter. I shook my head but was unable to stop the smile that spread across my lips. We continued on until we were near the center.

"What is it you wanted to discuss? If it's about the new horses, I have left them all in Arabian's care. I'm sure he can whip them into shape in no time."

"No, it's not about that," he chuckled.

"Then what is it about?" I asked with a slight frown as my brow furrowed.

"Shh...just wait," he murmured with a smile taking my hand in his, "C'mon."

I allowed him to lead me along to the very heart of the garden. In the very center, a large statue of Aslan resided amidst glowing white roses. I smiled at the sight of it. Soft music began playing suddenly. I looked around only to see no instruments or musicians. When I looked back to Peter, he was holding out his hand with a playful smile. I laughed shaking my head and taking it.

He pulled me to his chest as his arm glided around my waist. We began to dance around the courtyard. The soothing music brought a smile to my face. A large beam of moonlight illuminated the entire area. Peter spun me around dipping me before pulling me to his chest again and swaying back and forth. Giggling, I rested my head on his firm chest.

"Is this what you wanted to talk about?" I asked softly.

"So impatient," he teased.

I looked up at him with a small sigh. He leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to my head. I closed my eyes leaning into him even more. As we continued to dance, I heard him whisper something under his breath. Then he pulled away. I frowned as he took a deep breath.

"Aewryn," he started looking suddenly unsure of himself, "The day we first met at the Beavers' dam, I had no idea how much you would affect my life. I remember the first thing I thought when I saw you was 'beautiful'. Everything about you seemed to radiate not only beauty but warmth and love. I found myself drawn to that warmth and love and soon found myself wanting it to be my own. For that love and warmth to be for me and for me alone. Over the past years, we've combatted armies, innumerable enemies, and impossible circumstances. It has been an amazing journey."

I looked at him curiously wondering where this was open.

"I want to continue this journey with you," he continued.

"And I with you," I said with a small smile.

"Good because before the eyes of Aslan himself, I wanted to ask," he paused reaching into his pocket as he knelt, "Aewryn Kirk, will you marry me?"

I gasped as he opened a small jeweled bow to reveal a stunning silver ring. It was a delicately carved band that closely resembled tree branches being entwined. A lump formed in my throat as I felt tears prick my eyes. Smiling wordlessly, I nodded.

"Yes," I forced out continuing to nod, "Yes Peter, I wil marry you."

He slipped the ring on my finger before scooping me up in his arms and spinning me around. I laughed holding onto him tightly. As soon as he set me down, his lips were on mine. I smiled into the passionate, loving kiss drawing him closer. We drew away from the kiss slowly remaining in each other's arms.

"Well," a deep voice rumbled causing us to turn.

The statue of Aslan had come to life and the golden lion now stood on its pedestal looking down at us with a gentle smile.

"It took you long enough," Aslan stated.

The two of us laughed looking at each other again. Peter's gorgeous blue eyes bore into mine intently. All I could see in them was love. I leaned up and connected our lips once more. This time he was the one to smile and chuckle before returning the kiss. We whispered the same thing at the same time:

"I love you..."