so they thought they could dance

After dinner and speeches, the grooms and their parents gather on the dance floor, and the guests leave their tables to watch. They sway to the music under low lights and cloud-like plumes of tulle. It would have made Jisung emotional if Minho hadn't interrupted and dared him to down a cocktail as fast as he could.

Minho lifts the wedge of lime out of his glass. "Think I can eat the whole thing?"

"Do it."

He bites it off the stick, rind and all.

Jisung shrieks a laugh and grabs him by the lapels. "No! Don't eat the peel!"

"I'm eating the peel! I'm a fucking god!"

They almost fall out of their chairs, drunk on laughter. Maybe drunk on pink cocktails too.

Jisung slumps over the back of his chair, trying to shake the fog out of his head. "Shit, fuck. I need water. I don't want to be the drunk guy here."

"Hey, we're in this together. Drunk guys. Plural." Minho takes a long drink of water and passes it to Jisung. He downs the last of it in two gulps.

"Thank you for doing this," Jisung murmurs. "Coming with me. I probably would've cut and run after the ceremony without you."

"Don't, please. This has been awesome."

"No kidding, free food and drinks."

"Well, yeah, but also hanging out with you."

"Oh."

Minho is looking down, playing absently with his cuff. His suit is a midnight sky under the dim lights, and his collar has come loose. "I'm really happy for you. You shouldn't be fucked up over a guy who wasn't in love with every last part of you. You deserve more than... enough. You know?"

Jisung's mind has gone blank.

A shriek of feedback. The best man has the mic again.

"Let's speed this shit up!"

The music scrambles. The new song is driving, all brassy trumpets and lively rhythms.

It's Cha Cha. Specifically, the exact song they've been practicing for weeks.

They lock eyes. Minho doesn't have to say a word. Just like that, Jisung is totally sober.

"No!" he shrieks.

"This is too perfect, we have to!" Minho literally drops to his knees, looking up at Jisung like a puppy. "I am begging on my knees."

"This wasn't part of the plan." Jisung can dance in front of Minho and the class, he can dance alone in his apartment, but here? In front of all these people — his ex, his ex's mother, his ex's mother's mother — what if he fucks up? "No no no no, I can't. I'm not a professional like you, I'll embarrass myself."

"You want my professional opinion? No jokes? You're good. You commit and it pays off. If you just let yourself go, you'll be fucking fantastic."

Minho stands, shucking his jacket, and offers Jisung a hand.

"Double dog dare you?"

As it happens, that's what it takes to get Jisung on his feet. Lee Minho's outstretched hand, a double dog dare and the burning light in his eyes.

The crowd has parted, a cheering audience for the Nams, who are happily hamming it up, bopping along to the beat. Minho and Jisung linger on the outskirts, Minho loose as can be, Jisung a spool of stiff muscles and screaming nerves. He's terrified. But watching Minho is a kind of sedative. If he's so sure of himself, sure of every movement his body makes, then why can't Jisung be too?

Various answers surface as the Nams shuffle off into the crowd, and Minho takes their place. He's positively made for it, basking in the centre of attention; it's like a spotlight comes out of nowhere and devotes itself to him. He turns back to Jisung, drawing him out with that same irresistible look in his eyes.

Jisung swallows.

He takes a breath.

He steps out onto the floor.

Minho comes to meet him, coiling an arm around his waist. He presses his palm to the curve of Jisung's back.

Softly, in his ear: "Posture, sweetheart."

Jisung is lucky to be a teacher's pet. The music is loud, eyes watch from every direction, the stuff of stress dreams. But he knows what Minho taught him. Knows where to step, where to twist, and Minho stays close, trigger-happy with that wicked smile. He moves like the music is a river flowing through his body. Jisung imagines this is how Minho dances when it's not to teach or get paid, but to breathe.

Jisung thinks Minho is the most beautiful person on the planet. Which should be hyperbole, but he isn't feeling rational right now.

At this point, their practiced routine is done, the steps have run out. But neither of them stop. Jisung doesn't care if he's embarrassing himself — this is too much fun. Communicating only with looks, trying to predict Minho's next move. Feeling Minho watch him, really watch him, the way Jisung has always watched Minho.

The song ends with Minho's arms wound around Jisung's back. Feeling brave, untouchable, he answers with a leg hooked against Minho's hip; Minho holds his weight, dips him all the way back, nearly to the floor. When he straightens out, he finds himself in a position that Minho has definitely not taught in class.

People are clapping. Jisung smiles. Minho smiles back.

"Can I kiss you?"

But Jisung kisses him first.

The world falls away between their lips.

Then Minho breaks away, flushed red from his cheeks to his ears. It's a few seconds too late for social propriety. Jisung is so far past caring. He catches Minho's hand and holds it tight.

Someone else shimmies onto the dance floor as they retreat, moving through the crowd. They collapse at their table, still flushed and panting. Their jackets and ties are strewn on the floor.

"That was" — Jisung downs the nearest glass of water — "kind of awesome."

Minho laughs and points. "I told you so, you're amazing. God, I fucking miss that, I miss having fun and performing. The kiss really sold it."

"What do you mean?"

"I saw it on So You Think You Can Dance one time. Added drama. What's dance without emotion? Besides, no one'll doubt we're a couple now, right?"

Something in his gut drops and shatters like glass. He tries to fix his face. "Yeah. Makes sense."

"I'm going back to watch. Want to come with?"

"No, I'm... tired. You go."

Minho hops to his feet, heads back into the fray. Jisung slumps forward and groans, his voice dying in the music.

He's such an idiot. It was fake.

i imagine the song they dance to is the first track from this mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alMdyLefgWw

also i can't find the SYTYCD clip minho is talking about BUT I SWEAR IT EXISTS