Chapter 14

A few hours later found Kate at the hospital with Bruce, her dad, Sophie and Luke, waiting for any news on the conditions of both Ryan and Mary when one of the doctors came out.

"I'm looking for the family of Mary Hamilton?" the doctor asked as Kate and Jacob both stood up.

"That's us." Jacob said.

"How is she?" Kate asked, thankful that before she'd arrived, she'd asked Luke to hack into the hospital's records to access Mary's bloodwork to make it look like she was a normal human, since they couldn't risk her sister getting id'd as a meta.

"Aside from a few bumps and bruises, she'll be fine, she's actually been trying to self diagnose herself while also trying to get out of her room to check on Ms. Wilder." the doctor said and despite the circumstances, Kate and Jacob both chuckled before turning serious again.

"How is Ryan?" Kate asked.

"Still in surgery, we'll let you know if anything changes." the doctor said.

"Can we see Mary?" Jacob asked.

"Actually, she requested to speak to Ms. Kane alone first." the doctor said, much to Kate's surprise.

"Are you okay with that dad?" Kate asked.

"Yeah, go." Jacob said, a bit disappointed that Mary didn't want to see him right away, he was sure that he'd get his chance.

"Okay then, let's go see my sister." Kate said as she allowed the doctor to lead her to Mary's room to find Mary wearing a hospital gown and looking very annoyed, but staying in bed like the doctors no doubt forced her to lie in, since Kate knew Mary well enough to know that she'd rather be at Ryan's side right now.

"Have to admit, I never thought I'd see you wearing a patient's outfit in a hospital. I thought your dream was to be the one wearing the white coat." Kate said with a chuckle, which Mary shared as the doctor left them alone.

"So, how are you doing?" Kate asked.

"I'm okay, thanks to you." Mary said.

"What are you talking about?" Kate asked.

"I was in the next room over and the walls were very thin, did you really think I didn't hear your conversation with Alice. Batwoman?" Mary asked and Kate knew she was busted.

"I guess this is a good time to tell you that I know you're a metahuman." Kate said.

"Of course Bruce told you. Wait, if Bruce told you, that means he knows you're Batwoman and then." Mary said as Kate waited for her to finish putting the pieces together.

"Bruce Wayne is Batman." Mary said.

"I shouldn't be surprised that you figured that out. But will you keep this secret?" Kate asked.

"Only if I get a spot on the team. I mean after all, if you're going to be jumping off rooftops, it couldn't hurt to have an actual doctor there to patch you up." Mary said.

"No argument here. I'll talk to Bruce, make sure he approves. Especially since I could use some meta back up in the field." Kate said.

"Yeah, that's not happening, because I'm not using my powers anymore." Mary said.

"What do you mean?" Kate asked.

"Kate, Alice also knew that I was meta and she also knew how I got my powers and if she was telling the truth, my powers are killing me, by causing something called cellular degeneration." Mary said.

"That sounds bad and please don't give me the full explanation, just because I won't understand what you're saying." Kate said and Mary nodded.

"Right, but anyways, the more I use my powers, the faster my cells deteriorate and the sooner I die. I need to buy myself enough time to find a cure. Because after that, yes, I am one hundred percent on board with a sister crime fighting duo. Especially since I'd get a cool outfit." Mary said and Kate chuckled.