Chapter 9

Fair warning, this chapter contains yet another deviation from the arrowverse based off the most recent episode of Batwoman, but remember, this is how I wanted the show to go, not how it actually went.

"Well, you must feel proud of yourself." Bruce said to Kate as she entered his office at Wayne Enterprises.

"For what?" Kate asked.

"For making all of Gotham hate your stepmom as much as you do." Bruce said with a chuckle.

"Never hated Catherine. At least I didn't until I found out that she was the reason Beth became Alice. And also, as of this morning she's my ex-stepmom, since dad filed for divorce." Kate said and Bruce chuckled.

"And I suppose I should thank Beth, since now I can finally buy Hamilton Dynamics." Bruce said.

"Wait, what?" Kate asked.

"Yeah, ever since what Catherine did was reported on the news, the stock value of Hamilton Dynamics has been dropping as investors have been cutting ties left and right. I've already had my lawyers start buying up those shares and soon I'll have sole ownership of Hamilton Dynamics, allowing a bunch of people to keep their jobs and also giving me the authority to shut down projects there." Bruce said.

"What was Catherine building?" Kate asked, even though she already knew.

"The coil accelerator gun. A weapon capable of piercing the batsuit." Bruce said.

"And we agree that it is not a weapon that should ever be made, let alone mass produced." Kate said and Bruce nodded.

"I've already created fail safes for the suit." Bruce said.

"Speaking of which, why the hell would you store the railgun that can pierce the suit in a Wayne Enterprise R & D vault? That sort of tech belongs in the Batcave." Kate said.

"Lapse in judgment. I've already had it moved to the Batcave." Bruce said.

"I'm just curious, why not just destroy it?" Kate asked.

"No hero should ever be completely invincible. You know I like to prepare for all case scenarios, even ones that likely won't happen." Bruce said.

"I guess I can understand that. But still, storing it in a place where anyone can get to it is not smart." Kate said.

"Well, you know me, I've always been more of a big picture sort of guy and because of that, sometimes I miss small little details that seem obvious." Bruce said.

"Yeah, well, your little stunt nearly allowed Tommy Elliot to acquire a weapon that could kill anyone, including the Bat." Kate said.

"Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the person Luke told me Tommy has become. Or maybe he always was like that and I just didn't know it." Bruce said.

"Hey, we all have blindspots for the people we love. I was so obsessed with saving Beth that I let Alice kill Catherine and while I hate her, I didn't want her dead or my father in prison for a crime he didn't commit." Kate said.

"Well, now Catherine's in prison, so hopefully that will settle Alice's score for a while." Bruce said.

"I doubt it. She has a lot of scores to settle and the worst part is that a lot of them aren't wrong. She's angry at the people who abandoned her and she has every right to be." Kate said.

"And I agree with you on that. But there's throwing a tantrum and there's destroying the city and it doesn't seem like Alice can tell or wants to tell the difference." Bruce said.

"Yeah, I just wish I knew the exact instant she became this. Maybe then I could find a way to undo it. I mean, I know that Beth has to be in there somewhere." Kate said.