00. prologue

Mara Caldera squinted as the doors to the ship opened, the sunlight of her home planet peaking through

She heard the frustrated grumble from Commander Wolffe next to her as he put his helmet on, likely trying to remind her how much he really hated relief missions. He knew he would much rather be with Master Plo Koon who was currently leading a large portion of the 104th in an aerial battle on the foggy planet of Cato Neimoidia. Instead, here he was, on Vaethea with supplies for the civilians as they tried to recover from the recent battle the Republic helped them win.

Vaethea in its current state had never been anything truly special. It was known mostly for its drastic downfall that had been slowly worsening over the course of a century. From Mara, Wolffe had learned it was once a thriving planet that had made a name for itself with the exports of delicious fruits that could only ever grow on the planet and the expensive clothing they could create humanely from the animals on the planet. Mara had told him how it was once a lavish planet that rarely saw poverty due to its small population for such a large sized planet. It's downfall had begun with the neighboring planet of Raethea had begun to succumb to the harsh winters they faced. Vaethea had made the mistake of allowing the surviving population to relocate within their planet should they choose to. Such a decision had left them with a population that had more than doubled and their government having been overthrown by a group of Raethean's, who had taken the grace the Vaethean's had given them and abused it. It caused a divide among the two species on the planet that would border on a civil war and a depression caused by leaders hoarding riches and overpopulation for decades to come.

From the few times he has seen the Senator of the planet, Calypso Dane, he knew the planet tried its best to keep the facade of success up despite how quickly it was crumbling under the corrupt Raethean leaders, the Faye's. The planet had slowly let itself fall from a beautiful, welcoming planet to one that would be added to the list of planets to avoid if you wanted to keep yourself safe. Bounty hunters and all sorts of dangerous characters filled the streets looking for their next job or target.

Calypso Dane had done everything she could aid to planet as she waited for Senate to finally approve of the many pleas for relief she had sent to them. However, it wasn't until the middle of the Clone Wars that rumors had begun to fly that a militia of Vaethean's were forming and accepting aid from Count Dooku and the Separatists that the Senate had finally approved her pleas and allowed the Jedi to intervene as well. Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi and the 212th had travelled alongside Calypso Dane to prevent the formerly neutral planet from falling into the clutches of Count Dooku. Thankfully, the Republic had won Vaethea after finding out rumors had been spread by the Faye's themselves to allow their dealings with Count Dooku to go undetected.