CHAPTER 11 - Of Scrolls and Ciders

Start from the beginning

"Handful, you say, Your Highness?"

A soldier now stood as one with the other entourage that had been following them, arms crossed and looking... cross. Ralph's eyes slightly widened as he recognized her from the Battle. Althea, the Mind Sorceress of the Eclipses army.

Ralph began, "Miss, I... didn't mean—"

"Sure, Your Highness," she gave him a mocking smile.

Ralph shut his mouth, restraining the urge to glare at her.

"Er... hey, Althea," Nova said amiably, as if they were old friends.

"Pardon, Your Majesty. I saw you from a distance and reckoned I'd ask how you were after our... last conversation," she said to Nova and turned to Ralph, curtsying, "Your Highness."

Her teeth clenched at the last word, or perhaps he imagined it. Clasping his hands behind his back, he dipped his head at her as briskly as he could. He was irritated and the sun had all but just risen...

With her tight sandsilk trousers, high boots laced up till her knees, a leather vest exposing her tanned and sweat-coated arms, long-silver braid tied in a thick braid which reached to the two knives stashed on the belt about her waist, she looked like she was about to slain someone, or perhaps was returning from her morning exercises.

"I'm good really." Nova answered, "By the way, rude to not do introductions. Ralph, this is-"

"Miss Althea, I'm aware. Mind sorceress of the Eclipses army. Pleasure."

Surprise flashed on her face, as if not expecting him to remember her. Well, how could he not?

During the battle, there had been a moment, when Neo had made a slave out of High King Maris and His Majesty had unleashed all his four powers at them. Like a perfect tick of his magical sundial, this strange woman, with strange silver hair had come by his side and right on the spot had conjured up an entirely new spell to free His Majesty of the mind-control. Ralph himself was a Mind Healer, a mere user of the known spells from ancient books, but she was a sorceress... who had mastered the art of altering and twisting a brain, conjuring up a new spell as she pleased, whenever she pleased. Wreck or make, whoever she pleased. Maybe just with her eyes...

Jolting him out of his thoughts, a shriek as loud as a duel's gong resonated across the great hall-

"A portal! You have a portal, High King Nova?"

Ralph realized his company of two had been talking while he had been... momentarily lost. One moment... one moment had he taken his eyes off Nova and things had gone awry.

Althea might as well have made the announcement screaming it in a parade, because with the revelation, the soldiers had gasped and retreated. With fear in their eyes... for Nova.

Even when they kept their voices low, Ralph could make out the murmurs -

'Is this him? Did he not die? Are we still being tricked? Only Neo had a portal, didn't he?'

Worst part was the trigger—

Nova's face had dropped with a hand on his abdomen, as if his guts were churning with the mere implication. Eyes wide and dazed. Ralph reached ahead to hold his elbow only to get it shirked away as Nova stepped back a few paces, the air about him disturbed like a storm's onset.

Ralph glared at Althea, who was transfixed after her mishap. "Do something, miss. Instead of being just a handful."

A brief look of defiance crossed on her face before she flipped her braid behind her back, turning towards the Autumn Soldiers, some of whom had their spears ahead of their bodies in defense. Her short figure faced them all, legs wide and arms taut by her sides.