CHAPTER 16

Victor and Vincent, with the help of Leonard, searched their room for any odd-looking object that might be bugging device. They examined every piece of furniture found in the room, but they found nothing. The activity inside Room 37 was closely watched by Homer and De Vera.

"Damn, they're searching for the bug!" De Vera exclaimed.

"Then the bastards knew that we're watching them," Homer said. "So, that explains why the man whom Viray and Aquino were following had to change direction. Victor or Vincent might have warned him."

"I think, Sir, we've got to move quickly now before those bastards could slip through our fingers," De Vera suggested as he watched the activity going on in Room 37.

"Yeah, you're right. I think I have to seek the coordination and assistance of the Manaoag police," Homer said. Then he rose from his seat and hurriedly walked to the Manaoag PNP Headquarters which were just a few meters away. He had rubbed elbows once with Captain Ross Manuel, the station commander, and Homer knew that he won't have any difficulty soliciting the station commander's cooperation. Besides, Captain Miguel was a very nice fellow.

Captain Ross Manuel, the station commander of Manaoag PNP (Philippine National Police), didn't look like a policeman at all, especially when he was not wearing his police uniform. He was more like a businessman, or a high profile executive in the corporate world.

When Homer entered his office, Captain Manuel greeted the aging detective with with his usual very pleasant smile.

"Good afternoon, Detective. How I may of service to you?" Captain Manuel extended his hand as he met Homer walking toward his desk.

"Yes, Captain. I want you to do me a favor," Homer took Manuel's proffered hand while the latter led Homer to a well cushioned seat in front of his desk.

As soon as they were seated, Captain Manuel asked, "What favor would you like me to do for you, Detective Almendares?"

"I'll be direct. Two brothers, iVictor and Vincent Camba, and two accomplices, are suspects in the murder of Julian Casimero and another guy named Conrado Manansala. There is a also a woman with them named Merly Bandong, but she's not a suspect. The reason why Victor and Vincent took her is because they want to hide her from us. The truth is that Merly was the live in partner of one of the boys of the Camba brothers. Her live in partner, who died in a car accident recently, was also involved in the twin killing. Now,Victor and Vincent are hatching a plot to kill Glenn Buencamino," Homer explained.

"Wait a minute. Weren't Casimero and Buencamino rivals for congressman for the fifth district?" Manuel interrupted him.

"Yes, you're right. But let me go on. These suspects, including the woman I told you about, are staying in Manaoag Hotel. We planted a bugging device in their room, and we actually saw and heard Victor and his brother discussing their plan to kill Buencamino. Everything was recorded."

"And who are the two accomplices?" Manuel asked.

"One was named Leonard Regidor, the hitman who gunned down Casimero and Conrado Manansala. The other guy Rodrigo Valdez is most probably an errand boy or another hitman of the Camba's."

"You said you bugged the room of Victor and Vincent. Did you personally do it?" Manuel inquired.

"It was SPO3 Alexander De Vera who planted the bug," Homer replied.

Manuel grinned, "Well, I'll be damned! Alexander is the best son of a bitch when it comes to wire-tapping and planting bugs."

" So you know him?"