chapter ‣ 7

"Wa'alykum Salaam Khaled," I greeted him, letting go of Ami. "Kaisay ho?" (how are you?)

"Allah ka fazal hai."

I stepped back and glanced at Aqib walking in with my father. He effortlessly slipped off his loafers while balancing the fruit bouquet which he soon placed on the coffee table in the living room.

"Khaled here was helping us with the heater, we didn't expect you two to be on time," Papa explained, gesturing at my disheveled cousin.

I wouldn't have noticed Khaled's unironed kurta and paint stained jeans if Aqib hadn't stepped closer to shake his hand. Aqib's neatly pressed navy trousers, crisp white shirt and thin grey cardigan were worlds away from Khaled's usual attire.

It surprised me how I had never paid attention to Khaled's appearance before I saw him next to my husband. I vaguely recalled him always dressing up in light colored shalwar kameez or loose fitted button ups with straight jeans. Even at my wedding he had opted to wear his father's twenty-five year old grey suit, and black oxfords he wore to all formal occasions.

"Uncle, if you were setting up the heater for us, then let me assure you, we are okay without it," Aqib told my father.

"Yeah Papa, today's warm," I added, plopping down on my favorite couch. "Where's Kainat and Ifra?"

"Kainat's gone upstairs to get your Phopo, Nani Khala and the others, while Ifra's taking a shower."

"Phopo?" I shot up from my seat. "I'll go-" My mother threw me a death glare, halting me.

"Rida, perhaps you should sit with Aqib and we can talk about your plans for this evening," Ami suggested, using the tone she used when she was trying hard to sound polite.

I sunk into my seat slowly, nodding at her. Aqib settled down next to me on the red and blue couch, a good amount of space between us. My father sat down on the armchair next to Aqib, while Khaled returned to the AC/heater.

"Both of you must be recovering from the wedding frenzy," Papa theorized as my mother silently disappeared towards the kitchen. I wanted to go with her, help her with the refreshments but I knew she wouldn't allow it.

"It has been tiring," Aqib confessed. "My cousins only left yesterday, so we're still getting our bearings. With them it was a constant battle of going from place to place, having outings, meals in between and then late night talking sessions."

I agreed with a nod. Aqib's family was a lively bunch who knew how to milk every second for their pleasure. The two days and one night with them had been a constant battle of being present as they spent time together visiting the local party spots, eating out in newly opened restaurants and entertaining the children with arcades and gaming centers. I had struggled with keeping up with my prayers as they made plans without considering the time, talked about inside jokes I couldn't relate to, and felt like an odd one out standing in a niqab amongst a group of women in sleeveless shirts and capri pants.

Yet their love for one another was a display of affection I hadn't seen before, and although I had a loving family of my own, mixing up with them as one of them was a new experience altogether because they had solely accepted me for Aqib's sake, setting aside our stark differences to embrace me for who they considered their family's golden boy.

"Then you must be looking forward to the honeymoon for some peace and quiet," Papa said as the front door opened. "Where do you plan on going?"

"We have decided on a five day trip to the Northern areas before we leave for America," Aqib explained, straightening his shirt as he stood up to greet Nani Khala who hobbled into the hallway with my Mami. "I have taken a couple of weeks off after we land so I can show Rida New York city."