chapter ‣ 4a

It was pure chaos.

"Tell Kallu to pick Aunty Yaseen from the airport," my mother called from the dining room as she served breakfast to the older members of our family.

Ifra ran past me towards the kitchen where our Uncle's wife was making tea. One of our younger cousins crawled behind her mother as she carried a tray of mithai through the hallway. Girls from around our neighborhood crowded in the living room, putting dried dates, chocolate bars, dried fruits and other goodies into small bags for the bid. Kainat along with one of our cousins from Australia giggled away as they dashed towards the baji from the salon who had come to apply henna to everyone's hands.

"I have to go to the campus," I whispered, my voice drowning out in the loud voices in the room.

I gripped the strap of my backpack as I watched Khadija Phopo walk through the front door with a tall bundle of bedsheets and pillows. They were probably for the guests who would be sleeping around the house.

"I thought your exams ended," one of my Aunties called out from behind me.

"Yes they did, I have to pick up my transcript."

"Ask your Mamoo to take you, your father's busy," my mother announced as she entered the living room.

"Bhai just left for the airport," Phopo informed.

"I thought Kallu was going to pick Aunty Yaseen," my mother said, puzzled.

"I think Asghar bhai insisted."

I watched both ladies talk back and forth, clueless about half of the people they were mentioning. It was like that with us desi people, we always made it a point to invite everyone to our weddings, from our ancestral villages to family abroad, everyone had to come and live with us if they could.

"Why don't you go with Kallu?" My Nani Khala suggested from the couch across the TV.

"No, no, I'll just get-" I began to protest. I trusted Khaled most after my father, but he was already doing so much.

"Absolutely cannot have the bride going alone," my Mami announced.

"It's okay bachay, he's your brother."

He's not.

"Just go," my mother finally gave in, looking tired. She was usually the one who protested against him being around me.

"Ami?"

"Go, my child," Phopo instructed, leading me to the door.

"Be back quick!" I heard Nani Khala yell from the other end of the house.

"Phopo, he's already busy."

"He'll make time for you," Phopo whispered, patting my shoulder as I flipped over my niqab at the front door.

I know he will. I just don't want him to.

It was true that since Khaled had been part of my life he had become a brother to me, yet he wasn't. It filled me with frustration and unease when my own family failed to understand my worries. I couldn't just keep depending on him without any right.

This is the last time. I told myself as I climbed down the stairs.

I was getting married in three days, and then I would have a husband to travel to places with. Someone who could accompany me wherever I wanted to go, whether it was to university or the other end of the world.

A smile made its way to my face as I thought about my approaching wedding. It continued to surprise me how quickly everything had developed, from being spotted by Aqib to being three days away from getting married. It had been a whirlwind in a way. One day I was at Sara's engagement wearing my simplest abaya, two weeks later I was picking out the clothes I would wear to meet my in-laws, and six weeks later I was having my final fitting for my wedding dress. Mere eight weeks changed the course of my life.