Should've Stayed Inside

▪Chapter 2▪

     Interrupting the thoughts of my parents was a piece of hair that floated across my lips, I watched as the piece of once dull colored hair, started growing, and the newly shined strand of hair weaved its self down to my bottom lip and after a moment it trailed down the side of my face nearing my neck. This normally happens when I’m the water for longer than usual, but I wasn’t ready to get out yet. I lean forward off the sand and gaze into the empty sea; I can hear the sounds of ocean, echoes from what I’m guessing were some sort of animal. My eyes trail down to my illuminated skin. I stared blankly at my legs. Part of me knew they didn’t belong there. I was supposed to me either be a siren or a human, not both.  I didn’t want to be both, but I knew that if I could choose what I could be I wouldn’t have any idea what I would pick. The only reason I would chose to be a full time human is because of Ben, I couldn’t leave him, to me he is everything. I glance up at the surface and sigh, it was almost dark.  I finally decide to resurface.  I come to my feet and stand semi still at the bottom for a moment.  All too quickly about ten feet away from me a blur glides by at a scarcely fast speed. My body froze. I knew for certain that there are no sea creatures that can move that fast.  My eyes scan the water nothing looked out of place. A small feeling of relief drums in my stomach but I wasn’t satisfied, I knew that I should get out of the water. I propel myself off the sand towards the surface. In less than a second my head popped out of the water. I swam closer to the shore keeping my head above water. I started to feel lightheaded, I knew I had to allow myself to breathe sooner or later, but the pain I was about to face was something I wasn’t looking forward to.  Once my feet touched the sandy bottom I trudged myself to the shore. I slowly opened my mouth slipping the dry air into chest. I collapse onto the warm sand and my skin starts to burn as the every ounce of water that was left on my skin vanished and the navy patterns traced on my hands retracted back to the tips of my fingers then they were gone. My lungs felt like fire, causing me to wince as I gripped my hands tightly into the loose sand, I squeezed my eyes shut as I helplessly waited for the murderous process to end. Suddenly all my ears could hear were the sound of a car pulling into my driveway.  The brakes came to a screechy halt; I knew those brakes all too well, Ben.

My heart started pulsing painfully as I stared at the car, my vision was in whack and my eyes had yet to dilate so I couldn’t make out if Ben had gotten out of his car yet. With all the power I had I pull myself up and unsteadily try to get to my porch in between my painfully chokes caused by the changes going on in my chest. I finally reached the door and pushed myself to my bedroom and locked the door. No sooner that my door was shut I heard Ben walk through the front door.

“Nellie?” I heard him shout.

“Hold on I will be down in a sec.” I say in a gorgy voice due to my lungs that felt like they were burning. I quickly strip down and find clothes. I move to the mirror as I slip my jeans on and realize that I hadn’t finished changing back to my humane form. My skin was still glossy along with my hair that was probably 4 inches longer then the last time Ben saw me. So I tied it up in a messy looking bun. I threw a sweatshirt over my tank top to cover my inhumanly skin. I step closer to the mirror and notice my eyes. There were still specks of navy blues swarming around my pupils. Nerves rattle in my stomach, Ben will know that something different. I look around and quickly find a pair of knock off Ray Bans and place them on my face. My senses still weren’t where they were supposed to be, I could smell the faint liquor on bens breath from here and along with his foot nervously tapping against the wood floor. I try to shake off my anxiousness as I head downstairs. I meet Ben’s gaze, a smile glides across his lips along with confusion in his eyes.

 “Hey, sorry about that.” I say in a trying to hide the uneasiness in my tone.

“It’s fine, but come here.” He says in a light voice as he holds out his arms to me.