Y/N sighed, twirling his pencil in his hand as he glanced at the clock, to the chalkboard, and back to the clock. He was starting to get impatient, and the end of the school day was taking far too long for his liking. When the bell finally rang, Y/N let out a sigh of relief. 

Y/N grabbed his stuff and began to powerwalk all the way to his locker. He quickly opened it, but he jumped when a hand quickly shut it, creating a loud noise along with it. 

"Hurry up loser, you're taking too long, and I'm ready to go home already." Y/N's brother, Taguchi, spat at him. 

Y/N rolled his eyes, opening his locker and quickly grabbing his things then speeding up to walk with Taguchi, who had left him behind. 

"Why the hell do you always take so long? I just wanna get home so my friends can come over already." Taguchi's eyebrows were furrowed, obviously annoyed with his brother's "slowness".

"Sorry, I just had to get stuff from my locker." Y/N said in his low, monotonous voice. 

Taguchi sighed. "Just hurry it up next time, alright?" Y/N continued to stare at the ground as he walked, not looking up to Taguchi until he was kicked in the back of the legs. "Did you hear me, dumbass? I said to hurry it up." 

"Yeah. I heard you." Y/N mumbled, going back to staring at the pavement on the sidewalk until they finally got home. 

As the two of them walked through the door, they were greeted by their mother. "Hello Taguchi, Y/N, how was your day?" 

"It sucked, as per usual." Taguchi spat, throwing his bag on the floor next to the door and stomping over to his room. 

Y/N's mother sighed, a sad expression on her face. She shook her head before looking over towards Y/N. "How was your day, Y/N?" 

"It was actually kind of alright today." Y/N said, a faint smile tracing his lips. 

"Really? That's great! Is there anything in particular that happened?" Y/N's mother beamed. 

"Well, there was actually something I wanted to ask you about..." Y/N said softly, a faint pink blush dusted across his face. 

"Of course, what is it?" Y/N's mother still continued to smile. 

"I-" Y/N stuttered. "I actually wanted to ask if it would be alright if I joined the volleyball team..."

His mother's eyes lit up at the suggestion. "Of course! I know how much you always used to love volleyball, and I'd love it for you to have something that you love so much again. What position would you try out for?" 

"Oh- About that, I actually wanted to try to be the manager, not one of the players. I'm far from being good enough to actually join the team, but I still want to help out somehow." Y/N said. 

"I'm still perfectly fine with that, if it will make you happy, then go ahead." Y/N's mother smiled. 

A faint smile finds its way back to Y/N's face, and he nodded, before heading to his room. Y/N flopped down on his bed and let out a sigh, his cheeks were warm, and he couldn't help but get butterflies in his stomach as he thought of one specific person on the volleyball team. 

Kotaro Bokuto. 

Bokuto had never seemed to notice Y/N, but Y/N was fine with that. Bokuto's bright personality just seemed to make Y/N so much happier whenever he was near him. Being around someone who was so happy just seemed to be able to brighten up Y/N's mood. 

Y/N had a lot of trouble with being happy, or finding any reason to be happy after everything around him seemed to suddenly change. Both Y/N and Taguchi had changed so much from how they were just a few years ago. Their bright and optimistic personalities did a full flip, but in completely opposite ways. 

Taguchi became sour and rude to everyone around him, taking out all of his anger and sadness on others, and blaming everyone else for any minor inconveniences or problems.

Y/N became quiet and reserved, far too scared to show anyone how he felt. Y/N rarely showed any emotions when around others, except for when he was around his mother.

Y/N shook his head, getting rid of any of his thoughts of the past, and he tried to think of happier things instead. Y/N thought of Bokuto's bright smile, and Bokuto's well defined muscles. A blush returned to Y/N's face but even brighter. 

Y/N was quickly snapped out of his thoughts when he heard a loud crash and yelling coming from the kitchen. Y/N jumped at the loud noise quickly sitting up. Y/N peeked through the doorway, only to set his eyes upon Taguchi and his mother in a screaming match, both of them throwing things at each other.

Y/N tensed at the sight, before quickly retreating into his room and locking the door. Y/N looked out the window, and made a spur of the moment decision as he opened the window and jumped out, holding nothing but his phone with him. 

Y/N continued to run, trying to make his way to the park near his house, only to find himself forgetting the way there. Y/N ended up just running around the neighborhood, not paying any attention to his surroundings, just trying to get away from his home and the little family he had left. 

Y/N closed his eyes for a moment while he was running, only to find himself tripping over what he could only assume to be his own shoelace. Y/N ended up landing directly on his face. 

Y/N started to get up, when he heard talking and footsteps from up ahead of him. 

"Hey hey hey! Are you alright? You took quite the fall there." 

Y/N rubbed his eyes looking up and finding himself being greeted by none other than Kotaro Bokuto.