Chapter 3

Screams could be heard as the golden figure flew through the sky. The stench of death was heavy in the air, with an organized massacre taking place. The order had been given to only kill those who could not be captured and those who refused to surrender, instead choosing to fight to their last breath. In the distance, there stood something that gave the people of Athras hope and the will to keep on fighting; The White Temple of Athras.

With pearlescent walls strong and thick, it occupied a large space. Its wide, thick columns seemed to reach the heavens, while its open space and towering presence was filled with many gardens and mysterious rooms. The building now gave off a bright, pulsing white glow, which animated Athras's warriors with a unique power. Their senses and skills were heightened, while their enemies weapons and armor became brittle and a weakness overcame them. In the midst of one of the open courtyards, among towering trees and colourful plants, blood flowed as the main battle raged on.

Wave after wave of invaders were being cut down by the defenders. At one of the main entrances to an important room, stood one warrior surrounded by carnage. His jagged, azure armor pulsed and gleamed, occasionally sent out small spirals of light, which upon contact with an enemy sucked out their vitality yet healed and reinvigorated his allies. His dark, spiraled weapons on each hand gleamed with their own light. Shaped like short branches from trees, with rectangular handles, they seemed harmless until making contact with an enemy, ripping through armor and skin alike. His crown like helm protected his dark head as he continued to slaughter enemies.

As some of his warriors managed to reach him and his weapons flowed back into his armor, he turned his eyes to the sky, where a golden light that was painful to look at blazed through the sky and suddenly impacted on the ground in a blinding flash. Bodies were flung into the air and cut into pieces by sharp bursts of light as the figure moved towards the warrior. As his soldiers moved to block this golden man, he spoke in a calm radiant voice; "No, this is my battle."

As he moved down the steps, the fighting slowly died down, till in a deep silence the two men stood opposite each other. Staring at the man who had invaded his kingdom, the king of Athras knew that this was the fight that would determine it all. "So, Kaeos, destroyer and supposed savior; come to meet your end at last?"

Smiling a sad smile, the golden man spoke; "Aran Athras, it wasn't supposed to be like this. Too much lost on both sides. Your lover and your daughter captured, yet still you fight. If only you had joined me and I had talked to my dear friend...; but now Athras must fall!" Then the two men rushed at each other.

On the silent battlefield the men clashed again and again, waves of energy roiling off of them bring some men to their knees. Every punch and kick were powerful blows that seemed to cut into the air as they were thrown. The soldiers could only stare in rapt fascination as their fate was determined.

Dodging a blow, Athras quickly leaped backwards and thrust his hand into the ground. Sharp spikes of rock shot out and flew towards his opponent who barreled through them. Just before he reached him, Athras gathered a massive amount of energy into his hand and swung it into his foes face. A loud crunch was heard as the man was sent flying backwards. Athras gathered energy into his legs and was about to leap into the air when he realized his opponent was cheerfully laughing. As the man slowly got up his laughter got darker and louder. "Looks like I snagged my hand on something." Wiping blood from his mouth, he raised his left hand which contained one of Athras's weapons. Eye's wide in shock, Athras looked to his chest where he saw his armor pierced and a last bit of energy leaving it to flow into the spiraled weapon his enemy now held.

Screaming in rage, Athras rushed towards his enemy, only to be thrown back by a blast of energy. His body contorted in pain as the other man fired blast after blast of power unto him. Slowly struggling to his knees, he summoned his remaining weapon and thrust it into the earth. The weapon begun to emit an azure aura which quickly covered him, rendering the beams of energy harmless. Round azure spots slowly begun to radiate along the ground away from him.