Chapter 6: rekindling an extinguished flame

The earliest memory Tommy had of his oldest brother was when he had been hospitalized, Tommy didn’t know why he was in the hospital or why Techno was the only one in the room with him.

The silent beat of his heart echoed in the room.

His body felt numb and heavy while his head ached, he remembered there was something attached to both of his arms, it felt uncomfortable “Techie..” 

Technoblade was shaking beside him, holding his bandaged hand in his. Tommy felt his hand twitch in the other’s hold prompting the other blonde to raise his head to look directly at him.

“Tommy..” Techno cried, he never saw him cry. Technoblade wasn’t the type to cry, at least that’s what he remembered. 

“Thank goodness..” Techno gasped in between sobs, dropping his head onto their linked hands. Tommy could feel the warm tears trickling down his fingers as he sobbed.

He was confused, where was he? why was he strapped to these things? and where was Dad?

“I’ll call the doctors, I’ll be right back” Tommy didn’t want to let go but he was too drowsy and weak to call the other back.

Nurses and Doctors entered the room, running tests on Tommy and asking him questions. He still had no idea what was happening, he didn’t see Phil or Wilbur the whole time he was in that room. Techno was the only one keeping him company, even then he left from time to time.

Techno always had this look on his face whenever he saw Tommy, at the time he didn’t understand what it meant, but he knew how worried Techno must’ve been. 

Wilbur didn’t budge either, even if Tommy had asked to see him on multiple occasions. He was alone for most of the time, and it was lonely. 

He cried multiple times to call for Phil but still he couldn't come. The workers were getting tired with how needy he was all the time.

He was discharged a few months later, it was also the first time he saw Phil after so long. Tommy was so happy to see him, he couldn’t even remember when was the last time Phil and him ever shared a happy memory so when he saw his Father’s familiar green coat he smiled.

“Papa!” Tommy called. Trying to wheel himself further, Techno stayed silent behind him, letting go of the handle as he watched Tommy approaching Phil.

Phil kept his back to Tommy. 

Tommy grinned at the adult, his hand gripping the hem of his coat “Papa?” 

It only took one glance.

Tommy didn’t know what it meant, but the moment Phil had laid his eyes on the toddler-

“I’ll be waiting in the car” He just left.

Tommy was frozen in his seat. 

Before he knew it, tears were dripping down his cheeks, Techno sighed walking behind Tommy and reaching down to wipe the 4 year old’s face.

“Let’s get going, Tommy”

Tommy doesn’t know if he’s hallucinating, it was surreal seeing the face of someone you haven’t seen in a long time. Techno’s hair had been longer than it had been when he was in high school, tied in a ponytail behind him. He now wore a pair of glasses and a beard to go with his face, it was so different but yet in a way he still looked the same.

Tommy felt his heart thumping in his chest “What are you..”

Techno finally snapped out of his own daze, he let out a gruff snort as he smiled back at the teenager “I told you..” he said, voice a familiar but deeper monotone than it had been just years ago.