Chapter 1: an opportunity

Tommyinnit_gaming, one of the most well known and mainstream streamers to ever rise to the top, being in the top 5 most followed on twitch. He was a faceless streamer, they weren’t as popular back then and there were only a few that actually got a fanbase that watched their content on the regular. However, Tommy’s energetic and comedic persona is what made his streams entertaining to watch, people were instantly drawn to his content.

It wasn’t long until he amassed a large following and growing fanbase of his own, he had only been streaming for 3 years by then and it was there when he started to consider uploading his clips and gameplays on youtube. In less than a few months of uploads, he had reached a following of 10k subscribers. His fame led him to meet and collaborate with other creators in the community, as well as getting invited to join certain events.

But it wasn’t until Tommy was invited to a particular Minecraft Server did his name get the exposure he needed to rise further up the ranks.

The Dream SMP. At the time the server was meant to be a light hearted place for close friends and acquaintances to hang and mess around with. It was a private server that needed you to be whitelisted by the Admin before you could even dream of getting in. 

And to Tommy’s surprise, he was added, by DreamWasTaken himself.

At first Tommy was sceptical, but after a few confirmations and a quick message to Dream’s twitter account, he learned that he had indeed been white listed, well who was Tommy to decline such an opportunity.

He was quick to call Toby and relay the news, Toby or as he was known online; Tubbo, had been one of the few people that knew his profession. Tubbo used to help him with videos in the past, eventually also reeling the interest of the brunette to try streaming for himself.

Tommy was barely holding it in, biting his nail as he waited for the ringing to cease.

The sound cut off and Tubbo could be heard groaning from the other side, groggily he answered “Tommy? It’s freaking 7 am on a saturday what are yo-” 

“I got white listed on the Dream SMP!” Tommy announces.

“WHAT?!” Tubbo gawked.

“THE Dream SMP Toby! By big man Dream himself! '' Tommy brushed his hand through his hair, eyes wide and cheeks aching as he smiled. 

Tubbo beamed “No way, oh my gosh that’s- congrats Tommy!” 

Tommy’s grin widened that it was hurting his jaw but that didn’t deter his mood in the slightest “The fans are gonna flip when you share the news” Tubbo says.

“I know! I already have a shit ton of ideas for a stream by the end of the week, I just need to plan this right and maybe hope I won’t get cancelled” Tommy chuckles, he was already set on one idea, he wasn’t sure if it would set him a few steps back or be the greatest milestone of his career.

“Lay it on me king” Tubbo sparks with interest as Tommy happily shares his plans, spending hours and hours on the call until they eventually decide on it.

As soon as he posted the news on twitter it became #5 on the trending list, fans were on the edge of their seats waiting for a stream in the next couple of weeks. Tommy had already settled some things with Tubbo, he just needed to arrange a few things with some people.

“You called?”

Tommy steeled himself, sucking in a breath he had yet to swallow.

 “What are your thoughts on roleplay servers?”

He had called Dream as soon as he posted the tweet, the man was more than inclined to listen to Tommy’s ambitious plan to initiate an improv roleplay to his server. He didn’t get an immediate answer but in the end the Admin agreed to try it out, they weren’t going with a script at first in case the fans don’t get invested and they could just try out something else if that happens.  

Tommy already had a few backups just in case, he made sure that it was still on brand at the very least. It would be something fresh, roleplay servers were given a bad rep because of terrible execution and lack of chemistry between players. There were still a lot that were great but many still typically avoided implementing roleplay on their servers.
Tommy had met most of the players in the server beforehand, trying to get a feel for who were good targets for his plan. He’ll have to apologise to them afterwards though.

Fans were quick to join as soon as he sent the link for the stream on twitter and his other socials, the numbers of his screen were rapidly increasing. Chat was hyper as usual with the occasional subs and donations rolling while they waited. Tommy felt nervous for the first time in years after his first stream as a novice, adrenaline fueling his excitement as he spoke to the mic with an outstretched grin.

He chuckled to himself “Time to grief some houses chat”

To summarise the stream went smoothly, a few people were annoyed but Tommy was careful to not piss off too many people aside from the Dream Team. The fans were having a blast watching Tommy troll the three adults, mostly Dream and George.

“Dude that was hilarious” Tubbo cackled.

“ I know right?” Tommy laughs harder, it was hard to keep a straight face when he wasn’t supposed to. Chat did notice that he was being more calm than usual during the stream earlier, probably because he was tired after finishing his homework, he probably felt delirious which only served to make the stream more funny.

Tubbo hummed “I thought Dream actually kicked you off for a second there, the chat was panicking” 

“We still need to invite more people though, I can’t keep harassing the Dream Team on repeat for clout. It’ll get old” Tommy says, turning to the side with a yawn.

“Who do you have in mind?” Tubbo asks.

“Well there’s already enough people to mess with but I think chilling with Dream and George will be fine for now, maybe I could even convince Dream to white list you?” 

Tubbo is caught off guard, he remains quiet on the other line for a while “I’ll think I have to pass on that one, I still have that project for robotics to finish by the end of the semester”

“Shit! The essay is due tomorrow, I’ll call you tomorrow Big T”

“Night then Tommy”

Tommy sighed as he leaned back against the bed frame, he really needed that 50 point essay done tonight. 

He never imagined being a content creator in the near future, sure he dreamed of it ever since he laid his eyes on youtube when he was a kid but he didn’t expect to actually be one. It still felt surreal, like he could wake up at any moment and he’d be back to reality.

That reality where everything was just a repetitive cycle of wake up, go to school, fencing classes, do homework, sleep. 

Rinse and repeat. 

He never truly enjoyed anything, no matter how many clubs or out of school events he attended. Nothing stuck to him, at least nothing that was deemed appropriate to his reputation.

He was glad that he found that old ps4 in the garage, he stayed up all night playing on it he had forgotten that there was school tomorrow. And for the first time the world felt a little less dull than it had been the day before.

In the middle of Tommy’s incessant typing, he heard the faint click of the front door. Seconds later the door closes shut, startling the teen out of his work, the sound was loud enough for him to hear from up here.

Tommy’s expression fell. He took off his headphones from his ears just in time to hear the jingle of keys and heavy stomps climbing up the stairs, Tommy watches from the crack under the door as their shadow steps closer.

They stopped hesitantly at the front of his room, for a moment it was quiet, Tommy didn’t call out to them, waiting for the other to say something. There was nothing, only the slight shuffle of shoes and then they left. 

Tommy wasn’t surprised in the slightest, if only a bit disappointed. 

The blonde scoffed, he returned to typing.

“A goodnight would’ve been nice”

He woke up the next morning to find the mansion empty once again, and a yellow note on the kitchen counter written for him with his allowance stacked on top of it.