I'm afraid of you.

Start from the beginning

You entered the well-known office and saw Crane on his chair. Glasses on his nose, face buried in some documents. You cleared your throat to catch his attention. With a smile you greeted him and closed the door behind you. „Dr. Crane, nice to see you." He raised an eyebrow and took a quick look on his watch. „Miss L/N. On time.", he pointed to the patients chair. You sat down and looked at him. Yes, the atmosphere was different. Completely different. He got out your file and crossed his fingers. „So, tell me. How was your weekend? Your day? Another... meeting with Scarecrow? I guess it's easier to start your sessions by telling me how your day went and what's going on in your mind. Tell me about your dark thoughts and fears - if they crossed your mind. Of course."

You furrowed your eyebrows. Yeah, here you were again Miss I-don't-know-what-I-want because you hated how he treated you. Completely different from the last time. Cold. Like any other patient. But that's what you've asked for, right? Because you were afraid you could catch any silly feelings for a man you just knew for a few days and who was your psychiatrist. What a cliché. „Dr. Crane...", you started. „I haven't seen Scarecrow again. I just wondered... why he chose me." You looked directly into his blue eyes just to realise he already stared at you. Goosebumps.

„I mean. A villain, maybe one of those who wants to get Batman down... okay, fine. Congrats. We don't know who Batman is, we don't know who the Scarecrow is... so WHY would he chose me? I'm completely unimportant. I'm working, eating, sleeping - repeat. Meeting ‚friends' now and then. Once a month maybe. So... that doesn't make any sense." Crane was impressed. A little smile appeared on his beautiful lips. He was still sure, you were the perfect candidate for his experiments. And he loved that this topic was in your mind 24/7.

„Maybe because he loves beautiful women?" he kept silent for a moment. It was not flirty or something - but your cheeks burned. You couldn't control your body and so your cheeks turned more and more red. „Or maybe... because he knows about you. Knows about how lonely you are and so you're perfect as a victim." That definitely sounded like something Scarecrow would say. Crane knew exactly what he was doing. He wanted to confuse you. „Ouch...? But how would he kn-" He shook his head. „Maybe he followed you, maybe you've been his target for a while... But for me the most important thing is... how do you feel about this? We have to work on your emotions and fears. Also on your desire for danger.", he hadn't forgotten. Of course.

„Do you know him?" Your hands were shaking after asking this question. You rubbed your fingers and looked down on them as you couldn't stand those blues eyes any longer - especially after your question. Once again Crane was surprised. He never expected you to ask something like this. He started to be even more obsessed with and impressed by you - not only beautiful, also intelligent. „How can you even say something like that? I'm a and your psychiatrist. There to help people. Not to scare them to death? That really hurts my feelings, Y/N." He stood up. Great acting, Dr. Crane. „I should have listened to you. I should have given you another psychiatrist after that kiss. You're too emotional to think rationally. For the record: I don't know him." It wasn't really a lie. He didn't knew him - he was him.

„J-Jonathan, no, that.", your body started shaking. He raised his hand signalising he hasn't finished. „I'm gonna get your documents ready and transfer you to someone else. I really thought we could make it. I wanted to help you. Really. Not only because I like you, also because you opened up to me. You already made the right steps but after this assumption I see, you can't trust me. You don't and that is the most important part. Trusting your psychiatrist because if you don't how could you ever totally open up?"

You just sat there in silence. Being shocked not knowing how to react. He was for real, right? He wanted you to see another therapist. He did NOT want to see you again. You felt how dry your throat was and how much his words hurt you. You opened your mouth to finally say something but not even one word came out of your rosy lips.

„I see your silence as an approval? I'm gonna get everything ready so you can finally work on your psych." You finally managed to get your voice back: „No. Stop this, shit, Jonathan!", you regretted your words, „Sorry. But. Please stop that. I-I don't want any other psychiatrist. It was just a question, I didn't meant to hurt you by accusing you to know the Scarecrow. I want you. Only you. Okay? I-I mean. As my psychiatrist."

Crane looked you up and down. You did exactly what he wanted. He nodded. „Okay.", clearing his throat he got back on his chair. „I want you to meet Scarecrow again." You couldn't understand what he wanted to say. You were confused. „Sorry, what? Why? No, what?! What do you mean...?" Crane put his case on the table and opened it. „Would you like to see my mask? I use it in my experiments. And, Y/N, you won't remember this conversation today. Of course not." Your whole body started shaking. You felt he was dangerous, your gut feeling was right. „What do you mean... Experiments?" Finally you saw the mask he just showed you. The Scarecrow Mask. „It's a concentrated dose so you cannot fight against it this time. Strong enough so you're gonna forget everything but not strong enough for you to... yeah. You know, stay crazy or die. The mind only can take some."

Jonathan put on the mask and pushed a button inside his case. The fear toxin spread out in the whole room - there was not a chance for you not to breathe in the gas. „I see, the fear is finally back. You will learn to fear me, Y/N." The fear in your eyes was obvious. Also your body language. You got off your chair and ran to the door - again. Hoping this time someone could get you out, someone could help you. But you were all alone. Trapped inside a cage with a monster.

You buried your face in your hands and started crying. You just wanted to get out of this nightmare. You never wanted to feel this loneliness and defencelessness again. The darkest thoughts crossed your poisoned mind but there was one new fear. Scarecrow.

He came up to you, grabbing your arms which he pressed against the wall with one hand. With the other he grabbed your face and turned it to him. „Open your eyes. I want you to see me.", his grip tightened. „No. No. Go away. Leave me.", you screamed, still crying. „OPEN YOUR EYES." he screamed madly at you and instinctively you knew you had to obey him. Carefully you opened your eyes. One tear after the other dropped down your cheek. „Please...", you begged. Without success. „Tell me about your biggest fear. Except being all alone and losing your loved ones. What is it? Spiders? Snakes?" he murmured coming closer to your face. You felt a piece of his mask on your face. „Y-You.", you whispered. Almost silently. „I'm afraid of you."

Under his mask Crane smiled. Bigger than ever before. You're scared of him - perfect. „Good." he tightened again his grip and saw more tears running down your cheeks before your body couldn't stand this any longer and gave up. You collapsed and passed out. He let go off you and your unconscious body fell on the floor. Scarecrow exhaled deeply and took off his mask putting it back in his case. „What should I do with you now, hm?"

*Author's Note*

I'm heeeere! I haven't forgotten about this fanfic but there was so much going on the last days so I couldn't update - I'm sorryyyyy. I guess this is my longest chapter and as always I hope you like it! :)