Chapter 1

Fly me to the moon
Let me play up there with those stars
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars
In other words, hold my handIn other words...

The words of the old song repeat in my head like a broken record, and I find myself humming them gently as I pack my suitcase up. Carefully, though, as I mustn't sing loud enough for my parents to hear me, or they would ask me what it is that I'm singing. I could never tell them that it is a muggle song I have stuck in my head. I finally zip up the suitcase and get up off the floor, wondering how it is that I managed to fit all my books in there. I trace the golden lock with the tips of my fingers, and do the same for the initials stitched on the side of the bag. S.C.Y. Scarlett Camille Yaxley. Camille to my french Grandmother on my mother's side and Yaxley to...well, Yaxley to my father, Corban Yaxley, and all his ancestors before him. I come from a family that has a lot of dignity in upholding...family traditions, that is to say, being strictly pure-blood. I do not hate my family, but I have to admit I have several bones to pick with them, if I ever get the chance to.

Once sure my bags are entirely packed, I walk over to my and open the medicine cabinet. In there, a 13" ebony wand rests. It is a random place to keep my wand, I know, but I remember where I left it, so I see no problem in it. I close the cabinet and stare at in the mirror. My hair is long and stringy, dripping from my shower, and though there are bags under my eyes from sleepless nights filled with excitement for the coming days, there is a freshness in my complexion. I make my way back into the and shove my wand into the pocket of my school robes, ready for the day ahead. Once completely sure that I am entirely organised, I'm never entirely organised and this is a rare occurrence for me, I slump down onto my bed and let sleep overcome me, my dreams filled with incredible visions and hopes for the years ahead.

***

"Are you ready, Leta?" A voice questions from the bottom of the stairs, "There's someone here to see you." My voice echoes through the barren stairwell like an elegiac church hymn. I assume my special visiter is my Grandmothers head poking through the fireplace wishing me good luck on my first day at Hogwarts, and I drag my heavy suitcase downstairs to meet her. Our house is empty, minimalistic to a point when one could doubt whether someone even lives there. My mother calls it state of the art, I call it isolating. I leave my luggage in the hallway and make my way over to the to meet my family. To my surprise, and also dismay, I am greeted by the Malfoy family.

"Mum..." I whine, and trail off, my distaste for the Malfoy's being common knowledge. Though my family is rich, and very well-off, our splendour could never equal that of the Malfoy's, and every time they visit I notice them silently judging our home. Besides, Draco is the same age as me, and so we're expected to get on with each other. An impossible feat. My mother quickly approaches me and puts both her hands on each of my shoulders to silence me.

"I know. I'm sorry Darling, I really am. But I've got to travel to France today and your father's away on business so there was no one else who could take you." My mother elegantly drawls. Whenever she smiles or speaks, everyone's eyes seem to be on her. I don't know anyone as captivating as her. My mother is quite a bit younger than my father, and even if they were the same age, she's undoubtedly out of his league. I sometimes wonder what makes my mother love my father so. Once she's calmed me down, she turns to Lucius and speaks to him in a quiet tone, "Thank you, Lucius. I know Corban was getting worked up over nothing, but it still gives him a peace of mind to know..."

"Of course, Rosalie, Scarlett is safe with us," and Lucius turns to me and smirks, "Are you hungry?" he asks dejectedly, "Or can we leave now?"