Chapter 2

After almost getting caught three days ago, Aria and I managed to free more dragons and burn down the ships. There are more ships than usual, which is disturbing.

What do they need all the dragons for? And who are these hunters working for?

It's a sunny day, rare for this chilly time of year, and the birds are singing many different songs, forming one giant melody with various harmonies. Aria and I got up early this morning, just before sunrise, to travel the long distance to the next nearby market.

Four hours have gone by as the rocky and densely populated island finally appears on the horizon. My back and bottom hurt from flying this long, so I'm relieved to steer Aria to the back of the island where she can stay hidden. One can never know what kind of creatures are lurking behind each tree. And I am not talking about dragons.

"Okay, Aria", I turn around to face her big amethyst eyes that sparkle in the strong light of the midday sun, "I'll be right back. I'm just gonna grab the essentials for our upcoming travel, okay?"

She narrows her eyes and ruffles her nose, disagreeing with me for going alone without her protection.

"I'll be okay. And I'll hurry", I lean my forehead against hers and close my eyes, "I promise."

I flip on my hood and mask to regain some anonymity, and march straight through the labyrinth that is this market. I've been here several times before, so I know my way around.

"One left, straight ahead, right, right, straight, and left again", I murmur to myself, but suddenly I notice a few large men in front of the stand I was going to visit first. Judging from their large figures, the clothes and the accent, I know that those are dragon hunters. I also notice one of the two dragon hunters, namely the taller one, looking a lot like the hunters I have been fighting the last few days. My curiosity peaking, I slowly step back and duck behind a wooden barrel that contains fresh apples. They look delicious, but I won't let myself get distracted.

I tilt my head to try to hear the hunters better. Man, usually they are shouting and now they're whispering so quietly that I can hear my own heartbeat hammering against my chest.

"No, no- ... he did nothing ... Hiccup ... should be ... father ... chief ...", is all I can make from their whispering words.

To my luck, another dragon hunter joins the others. And this one is considerably louder.

"What'yu girls talkin' 'bout?", he slurs drunkenly, leaning one arm on the shoulder of the smaller dragon hunter who grimaces and shifts under the sudden weight.

The taller hunter scoffs, "Sven thinks Drago was the most powerful dragon hunter that had ever existed. But I know-", he points to himself proudly, "that the REAL dragon killer is Grimmel the Grisly."

Grimmel the Grisly? Awful name. Kind of funny too. And although I am curious about this mysterious dragon killer, my gut feeling warns me about this man. I ignore the feeling and continue observing the men.

The shorter one, Sven, crosses his arms in front of his chest, shaking his head and frowns. "You must be joking, Glen, no one's ever met the guy. So how do we know that he's real?"

"I work for him", says Glen, basking about that fact.

The hunter that joined the two a few minutes before, now leans against the back wall of some hut and switches his gaze between them like a lizard jumping from one hot rock to the next.

Sven and nameless-guy continue listening to the glorious stories about Glen's experience of working for the supposedly famous dragon killer.

I grow tired of their arguments, so I choose to find and buy the items I need and go back to Aria. It's almost dusk as we fly back to our cave, which lies somewhere on the south-west border of the Archipelago. I am tired and hungry, so I could definitely use some food and sleep right about now. And I bet Aria feels the same way, I think after hearing her stomach growl and giggling to myself.