The Saturday Night

Start from the beginning

"I do not. W..We do not discuss work. We like to keep things separate." I lied.

"Really?" Luke dragged looking at me skeptically.

"Yes. I am confused though. All of us are from so many different sections. Some are architects, lawyers, HR and finance guys too. I do not understand." I told him shaking my head lightly.

"Maybe all of us are getting fired." Luke joked.

I looked at him with my lips thinned but before I could answer him, the door opened again and Aaron walked in with Peter tailing behind him. Everyone sat straight in their seats. I saw some people gulp in fear and anxiety of what is to come next. I bit my lip to stop myself from smiling. I turned to look at Aaron, waiting for him to speak.

"Good afternoon, everyone", Aaron began in his bossy voice.

"Good afternoon, sir", everyone replied in unison.

"So, first of I wanna make one thing very clear. Whatever I am about to say next is of top secrecy. I expect you to keep it one. Nothing must go out of this conference room at all. Is that clear?" he asked and everyone nodded.

He continued, "As you all know and I shall repeat for the ones that do not keep up with everyday news, I have recently expanded to Europe, precisely last week." I glared at him slightly knowing very well he just taunted me. I could feel Luke controlling his laugh too so I gave him a stern look too. For God's sake, it is OKAY to not read news everyday!

I focused my attention as Aaron continued, "So, our first project that we got is from Spain. It is the Duke of Amalfi's family. They want us to design a vacation home for them in the outskirts of New York City."

Everyone was too shocked to react until someone clapped, bringing all of us to our senses, and then everyone followed. The conference room was filled with sounds of clapping, cheering and congratulations. We all knew this was big news and I looked at Aaron to see him smiling proudly and thanking every person that congratulated him. Suddenly, he looked at me and our eyes met. I smiled at him harder and nodded my head slightly as in to congratulate him. He blinked backed with a smile and I knew, for the first time, that he wanted to say thank you.

We continued staring at each other until the excitement died and Luke cleared his throat. Aaron drank some water and continued, "Now, the family wants it to be a secret because they do not want anyone, especially media, to get the location for what is going to be their very private family home. So, they have asked us to maintain the secrecy. Thus, I have all of you assigned on this project from your respective departments. I believe that you guys are the most trustable employees of this company and will help me keep it a secret. Also, to ensure additional security, you will not be able to take to your houses any document or designs related to this project so that you can work from home. If work is pending, I am sorry but you will have to do overtime in office itself. Also, your desks have been shifted to the fourteenth floor. I will be watching over things very closely on this project. It is a major one for us. Finally, no talking about any of this to any other employee outside this room."

Everyone nodded as Aaron completed understanding the gravity of the situation. It was a massive one and it had to be a hit. There was no way around it.

"Alright then, you are free to go and you will get the emails about the details by the time you reach your desks. I expect the first draft of the finance report, designs and the report from HR to be ready by coming Monday. Also, legal team, inform me of any issues that need to be looked into as soon as possible. Let's get back to work."

"Monday? But, it is already Wednesday evening. How can designs be ready so fast?" I asked Aaron.

"I said the first draft. They do not have to be very detailed. But, need to have some information about the actual design. Something nice to show to the Duke's grandson who is visiting on Tuesday." Aaron replied and I nodded.