TWENTY EIGHT.

TWENTY EIGHT ;
confessions

real life !

Once Marley made her way out of the bathroom, she was immediately met by the sounds of Karl muttering to himself in the kitchen. When she eventually stumbled into the unfamiliar room, she nearly laughed at the sight before her. Karl was staring at the two mugs in front of him like they had personally offended him while he held an ice pack against one of his hands.

"Did you get in a fight while I was gone?" Marley asked, making him jump as he became aware of her presence. "Oh...sorry. I thought you heard me."

He shook his head and offered her a nervous smile, "I was a little distracted, my bad."

"By the mugs?"

Karl blinked at her before sighing and gesturing towards one of the seats at the table. "No, just lost in thought."

Marley watched as he sat down in the chair across from her. He seemed just as restless as she felt, his fingers had been tapping away at the table since he noticed her come in.

"I don't even know where to start," he admitted, "that's kind of why I didn't show up tonight."

"I think that's been your excuse for not saying anything this entire time," Mars said, watching as he immediately averted his gaze. "But I can start, if you want?" When he nodded, Marley cleared her throat and looked down. "I guess I should probably start with a confession."

Karl winced at that, suddenly looking extremely uncomfortable. "I think I know what you're going to say."

"I genuinely don't know how you would know what I have to say," she said, slightly tilting her head at him. "You know...since you fell of the face of the earth last week."

He frowned, "That's deserved...but my mom told me."

"Your mom told you...?" Marley asked, suddenly extremely confused. "I didn't tell her anything so I guess she's just more perceptive than I thought. Though it would make sense considering how surprised I was when she mentioned it."

Karl sighed, "Yeah, context clues and all that. She scolded me for three hours the other day, if that makes you feel any better."

"It doesn't really," she admitted, "So...you know that I know."

He nodded, "I do."

"Is that why you've been ignoring me?" she asked softly, "because you didn't know how i'd react?"

He let out a humorless laugh before looking up at her. His eyes were glossy as he stared at her with an emotion Marley could not identify.

"Sometimes, I forget how well you know me," he confessed, watching as she grew more confused. "It's not a bad thing, Mars. I just...I spent the entire flight home trying to figure out how to convince you that I'm just the biggest idiot there is while also trying to justify ghosting you. I know there's not a good enough reason I can give you to make that okay, but I still spent the entire flight trying to make excuses for myself. I'm more than aware of how stupid I was that day on the beach, Marley. I know I should've just told you what happened instead of letting you walk away, but I had already convinced myself that I blew it."

Marley was quiet for what felt like an eternity to Karl. He watched on in silent fear as she considered his words.

"Did it ever occur to you," she started, "that I would've thought it was funny?"

"I think I was too busy panicking to even consider any possible good outcomes," he admitted as his tapping continued. "I immediately assumed the worst the second I said I didn't want to be your boyfriend anymore."