Chapter 23

Greyson

I walked down the gravel path to my car, reaching for my key fob in my front jacket pocket. It made a chirping sound that echoed into the quiet night at South Fork Ranch. I fastened my seatbelt and circled around to pick up Kendall and Brody.

When I arrived, they were in deep conversation out front. I put the car in park for them to get in. Brody opened Kendall's car door and slammed the door shut, once she was safely inside. "Easy on my car door," I don't know if it was just the door shutting—but for some reason it bothered me. Part of me felt I should have been opening the door and being a gentleman, not my cousin.

I thought back to the last time I had Kendall as a passenger in my car. We had left Victoria and Mark's engagement party—after that whole unforeseen occasion where I learned, Kendall had been engaged to Mark West at one time. That seems so long ago.

Brody climbed in the backseat of my car. Kendall reached for the seatbelt, while sitting in the front passenger seat. "Do you need me to help you? That seatbelt gets stuck sometimes."

She kept tugging at it, not wanting my assistance. "Yes, would you mind helping me with my seatbelt?" she made a small laugh, as a blush tinted her cheeks.

I turned toward her and had to reach up for the unit to get it unstuck. I felt my heart knocking on my chest as she sat there frozen. "There." She didn't look at me. But cleared her throat, as I clicked her seatbelt in place.

I turned on a smooth jazz station and made my way towards home. The three of us made small talk about the wedding on the way to Carrington Ranch.

"I'm sorry to interrupt the night for both of you at the wedding reception." Kendall turned in her seat to address me and Brody.

"Its fine, I could actually use a little break. This is one of the longest weddings I've been to. Getting out in the fresh air is nice." Brody spoke up. I agree with him.

I continued the conversation. "It's no problem at all Kendall. I'm glad I overheard you needed to go home and I was able to help. I can't believe my brother is a married man."

"I know, my cousin is putting the pressure on us now." Brody leaned forward and hit my back. I laughed.

"I can tell the he and Andrea are really in love. They make a great couple," Kendall fidget with the bouquet of flowers on her lap, speaking in a somber tone.

I changed the subject. "How is everything going at the art gallery? I haven't had a chance to catch up and find out what's going on with you these days." I spoke as if we were still on friendly terms.

"The gallery is great. I just recently decided to expand our art collection—now we are getting steady buyers and a lot of foot traffic on a daily basis." She perked up.

I pulled into the entrance of Carrington Ranch. I wanted to drive slowly up to the estate because our car ride is almost over. I realized . . . I didn't want her to leave. I pulled alongside her parked car. I looked in my rear view mirror. "You can stay seated Brody, I'll help Kendall to her car." He started to say something and decided to stop. He gave me a thumbs up instead.

"You don't have to open my car door Greyson. I'm fine." She reached for the door handle after unfastening her seatbelt, which was working.

I touched her arm. "What kind of gentleman doesn't open a lady's door. That's how my parents raised me." She didn't argue.

She exited the car as I held her door open. She grabbed her purse, flowers, and wedding favors. Thank you for giving me a lift to my car. You were a life saver." She reluctantly met my eyes, tilting her head to the side.

I couldn't help touching the side of her face. "I'm sorry. I didn't plan on things being like this between us. I know you and me—us . . . is the reason you're leaving the wedding reception."

She looked down without answering my question. "I'll text you and let you know about us meeting for lunch at a restaurant near the gallery." She pecked my cheek and darted into her car, closing the door. At least she was considering having lunch with me—it's a start.

We made it back to the reception in time for the cutting of the cake. I looked at my watch, as Savannah sauntered my way. "Hello Savannah. I told you we'd be back soon." She put her hand in mine.

She sighed. "I'm sorry Kendall didn't feel well." She tried to sound convincing. "Andrea and Colton are so fortunate to have each other. This has been one of the nicest weddings I've attended. And I got to be a bridesmaid as well." She leaned close to me and at that moment—I realized the woman that had my heart is not here.

I tried to make it through the rest of the evening without thinking about Kendall, but that was next to impossible. Everything about today reminded me of her. It's because of Andrea and my brother, Colton, that I even met her.

My momma motioned for me to sit in an empty chair at her table. "Excuse me Savannah. I'm going to talk to my momma. I just realized I haven't spoken to her this entire day."

"Go . . . go." She rubbed her hands together. "In the meantime, I'm going to eat my cake the waiters are bringing to the tables. The cake was gorgeous. Andrea used one of the top wedding cake bakers in Dallas. I can't wait to try it." She wore a big smile on her face.

I sat down next to my momma, raking my fingers through my hair. Her eyes softened. "How are you son? Others may not know, but I can always tell when something is bothering you."

I blew out a breath and leaned forward, placing my elbows on my knees. "I'm okay momma, I'm just sorting through some feelings."

"About Kendall?" She asked simply.

"Yes, I should've known you would read me like a book." She's always been a concerned mother since my brother and I were little.

She patted my hand. "It's no secret, I'm not happy with Savannah being back in your life—after she broke your heart. And I know you're an adult, able to make your own decisions. But whatever you do—don't let Kendall get away." She didn't say another word.

                               Please don't forget to Vote and/or Comment. ❤️