𝖎𝖎. ❛ KING'S PAWN OPENING ❜

Start from the beginning

To say that Kamisato Ayaka was intrigued was an understatement. Never had her elder brother been intrigued by anyone in such a way that would distract him from his very work— let alone a woman... This prospect was greatly enlightening as an idea began to fester at the back of Ayaka's mind.

"I met her just yesterday. She's... quite particular, if I say so." Ayato's impression of the heir presumptive was far different; he had long assumed that she would be disagreeable, perhaps even a bit of a recluse. Never had he expected someone who many say, is dejected and downright crestfallen upon first glance— to be someone who is as commanding and outspoken as her. But she was disagreeable nevertheless.

"Yesterday...?" Ayaka voiced surprise, her tone urged for her brother to continue the story.

Ayato nodded. "Thoma was running a bit late, so I decided on a stroll to pass time. I stumbled across the Hiiragi Estate when I ran into her. I must say... she is quite, candid."

Candid may be too gentle of a word to describe her. Ayato kept the thought to himself; it wasn't necessary for him to voice what he thought of the Hiiragi's heir presumptive.

"Lord (y/n) is rather known for her short temper and sharp tongue. I wouldn't be surprised if Brother's first impression of her is a negative one." Ayaka explained, carefully watching her brother's expression as she continued, "what do you think of her, Brother?"

Ayato's eyes flickered to his sister, taking note of the way she was looking at him. The solemnity in her eyes told him everything he needed to know. That was something Kamisato Ayato praised himself in, reading people expertly.

Yet this (y/n) is a complete enigma to him. And that frustrated him to no end.

"My thoughts?" He repeated, watching as Ayaka nodded in response. He chuckled softly, as he ran his gloved hand through his ashen blue locks. "I suppose I can't exactly say just yet. I had quite a brief exchange, dear sister..."

Ayato was able to discern that his sister was gauging if (y/n) was a suitable match for him through her questioning. She hadn't quite picked up the art of subtlety just yet, but perhaps she would in the future.

"Do you... express any sentiments to meet her again?" Ayaka continued to inquire, hoping that this would lead to some sort of meaningful conversation in the context of their previous exchange. She seemed absolute in finding her brother someone suitable to marry.

"I'm sure our paths will cross again." It was a safe answer. Kamisato Ayato always ensured himself protection in regards to all matters— always thinking three steps ahead to outsmart anyone. He was always playing the safe game; even taunting the risk of exposure from time to time but all in jest. In any conflict, he knew he held the advantage.

But in this particular game of chess, he wasn't sure what would be the next best move; proceed with his life as the unmarried, untouchable Yashiro Commissioner or to partake in this careful waltz of courtship with the infamous Hiiragi heir.

Ayato knew, of course, that this potential marriage would benefit the both of them. He would be married and she would gain a position in upper society. If she chose to keep her titles and authorities as a member of the Hiiragi Clan, he wouldn't be opposed to it. This matter wasn't his to dictate and in any case, the marriage would only be in name. Nothing more, nothing less. Should the two of them marry, nothing would change.

"Then, Brother... would you be opposed to a luncheon with Lord (y/n)? I could certainly set one up for the two of you."

Ayato glanced up, meeting his sister's gaze at her suggestion. He bit his bottom lip out of habit, thinking through his options but ultimately decided that he needed some sort of redemption from their previous meeting. That, or perhaps the Yashiro Commissioner had found himself utterly tranced by the prospect of her mystery and intrigue.