Chapter 12: Arguments

Start from the beginning

"I didn't realize that I bore you so. If you're going to jump, at least give me time to compose a ballad in your honor as an apology," Nikolai says. I turn to study him, blond hair shining. He's wearing an elegant greatcoat of army drab, marked with the golden double eagle. "Something with lots of sad fiddle and a verse devoted to your love of the stars."

"Maybe I should just jump now then."

"I happen to have a more than passable baritone," the Prince replies, sounding absolutely insulted. "And what's the rush? Is it my cologne?"

I scoff, "Nikolai, you don't wear cologne. What is it you always tell me?"

"I have such a naturally delightful scent that it seems like overkill. But if you have a penchant for it, I'll start."

I roll my eyes, "How chivalrous. How... absurdly extra. No, thank you."

"I shall obey you in all things. Especially after that demonstration," he says with a nod to the lopped-off mountain. "Anytime you want me to take off my hat, please just ask."

"Nikolai, why are you still playing this game?" I ask with a sigh. "You know I am pregnant with another man's children. And I know how you feel about bastard children."

He stares at me for a long moment. I expect him to call me out for my bluntness but instead, he says, "I have a gift for you."

"Nik-"

He reaches into a pocket and places something atop the wall. My words die in my throat.

Light glints off an emerald ring. The lush green stone at its center is bigger than my thumbnail and surrounded by stars of tiny diamonds. The Lantsov emerald.

"Well, understatement is overrated," I mutter.

"I love it when you quote me," Nikolai taps the ring. "Console yourself knowing that, should you ever punch me while wearing it, you'll probably take my eye out. And I'd very much like you to. Wear it, that is. Not punch me."

"Nikolai, I'm pregnant."

"I'm aware," the Prince replies softly. Then he averts his eyes, "You know, my mother gave this to me before she left. It's the Lantsov emerald, although knowing you, you were already aware of that. She gave her blessings to our union. I was going to propose to you the night of my birthday dinner, the night we were attacked. Curiously enough, that was not the worst birthday I've had."

"No?"

"When I was ten, my parents hired a clown."

I roll my eyes and pick up the ring. "Heavy," I say.

"A mere boulder, really."

"Did your mother actually agree to let you propose to a common orphan?"

"She did most of the talking," he says. "When she found out she simply changed the subject. Wanted to tell me about Magnus Opjer."

"Nikolai-"

"A Fjerdan ambassador, quite a sailor, made his money in shipping." Nikolai interrupts as he looks out at the cloud bank. "Also my father, apparently."

I know to stay silent. Nikolai talks about the conditions of his birth easily enough, but I know that he feels the sting of it more deeply than he will ever admit.

"It's strange to actually know," he continues. "I think some part of me always hoped the rumors were just that."

"You're not daft," I say. "You know that you'll still make a great King."

"Of course," he scoffs. Then he brushes an invisible piece of lint from his sleeve. "I don't know if she'll ever forgive me for sending her into exile, especially to the Colonies."